NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing Report 7/16-7/29--western NC--We stayed in Murphy, NC

The wife and I fished Lake Appalachia 6 mornings and never hit it w/ generators running. We averaged 2/3 Browns(biggest 4.5 lbs)per trip and 4/5 Smallies (biggest 5 lbs). The lake was beautiful and is one of my favorites. We fished down towards the dam and in 40-75 fow and the trout were 25-35 feet down and hit everything from live bait to orange rapalas.

We fished lake Notteley in Ga for Stripers 5 evenings(5-8pm)and averaged 3/4 per trip (biggest 15 lbs)--all on live Blueback Herring. We did fish with our buddy Shane, who owns Big Ol' Fish Guide Service on Mon 7/18 am and caught 24 Stripers 3-14lbs and a 5 lb Largemouth bass

We drove 61 miles 3 mornings to fish Lake Calderwood-- We caught 5/6 trout in each outing with the biggest a 3 lb Rainbow. One of the Highlights of the trip was watching a 30lb Bear cub swim across Calderwood. These fish were hitting hoochies, nightcrawlers and spoons all 25-40 feet down. We witnessed a fish continually popping something live, so I had my wife cast a 3'' swimbait and she came up with a 2lb Brown Trout( 1 of 2 that we caught there)

We even traded a 2019 Kia Sportage for a 2023 Kia Sportage at Lifetime Kia in Murphy---No $$$ down and payments remained the same. (outside of dealing w/ my son, who is a GM of a GM dealership in MA--- this was the easiest deal I ever made) This deal gave me 24 hours to fish the Cherokee Indian Reservation. I had a ball fishing spot after spot in the ponds and rivers. I caught 7 eater stockers and 4 natives that were released.

We were so Blessed. We had a great trip. Deer in the rental home's yard all day, every day.--We never got Skunked---only bad thing--a Striper on Notteley stole a $200 combo in r while I netted the wife's 10 lber. Oh well--It is part of the story. Next up---Thanksgiving week at Fontana Village to fish Cheoah and Calderwood.........

Good Fishin'
Coach & Michele

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was looking for your post. It sounds like a Great Trip!. I didn't make it.....had to cancel last minute again. This is the busiest year I've ever had......so....not a very good look if I leave while everybody else is working hard. I personally enjoy those morning mountain drives on the way to the lake.

This crazy world will even out eventually. I'm happy to see at least someone else is Fishing!

·
Registered
826 Posts
TVA is and has been for some while been using Fontana and Hiwassee Dams to meet afternoon/evening peaks. No morning generating, period.

Fontana may be out of cold water by Thanksgiving...??? That's been the pattern in recent years. Sometime in the fall, Fontana's release water goes above 60 degrees. Fontana stores silt in the depths that used to be all water. In recent years I've seen Chilhowee Lake 67 degrees, top to bottom, end to end. The Trout stop feeding. The Bass and Perch seem unaffected.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Glad to hear the report on Calderwood. I had a free weekend and planned to go up there a couple weeks back but the forecast was for rain w/possible severe weather. Sounds like you had a good trip!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys-
We really had a blast. We are chomping at the bit to get to Thanksgiving and more trolling. Hopefully D will make it as well. I love it when the lakes are naturally below 65 degrees--good fishin to all

Coach

·
Registered
826 Posts
It was a nice day for a boat ride. The motor worked well but the fish-finder and downrigger both failed due to corroded electrical connections. We had to pull the ball up by hand from 95 feet down, 8 pound ball. We got two strikes on plugs but both fish pulled off after about 10 seconds. As if things hadn't been hard enough, my boat trailer got a flat on the way home. I'll try again in a few weeks when the boat gets out of the shop. I'll probably try Calderwood or Chilhowee next time. Watauga Lakers are so deep right now. My TD Hawk said the water below 50 was at 125 feet. It's hard to fish that deep!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really miss NC Mts lakes trolling! Sold house in Graham Co last December , been downrigging on lake Gaston with interesting results, 45 in Gar, some very nice Stripers and Spots! Going to Watauga next week, have done really good in September there with Smallmouths, Rainbows and Lakers! Dale Hollow on fire with nice size Browns, Hugh Smallmouth and Walleyes on worm rigs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts