NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips about where you can find striped bass in Jordan lake in the summer time? I’ve seen small pods on sonar and sidescan that may be stripers, but no schools. I guess I’ve lucked out in the past and have been able to locate them. It’s a big lake and I haven’t had any luck all summer.

Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stripers love deep water because it's hot in the summer, so start in the middle of the lake were the water is deep, see if you see any on your fish finder. Just before the S curves use to hold some fish but lots of boats come through there and it's not always easy to fish. The S curves are going toward Haw River.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Jordan is different than most striper lakes. MOST years but not all but Most years the stripers are no deeper than 15' . The biologist found this out a long time ago. Hot summers and the fertility of the lake mean not enough oxygen below that level. That is the reason Jordan has die offs some times in extremely hot weather. The fish cannot live where it is cold enough for them. if you target them keep your limit them quit. The rest you catch will die. thay may swim off but they will be floating later.

Reactions: uglystik

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it was stupid they put stripers in Jordan, I always said it wasn't deep and cold enough to support them. NCFW killed off the hybrid and they were more fun to catch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jordan is different than most striper lakes. MOST years but not all but Most years the stripers are no deeper than 15' . The biologist found this out a long time ago. Hot summers and the fertility of the lake mean not enough oxygen below that level. That is the reason Jordan has die offs some times in extremely hot weather. The fish cannot live where it is cold enough for them. if you target them keep your limit them quit. The rest you catch will die. thay may swim off but they will be floating later.
I agree. Last week I was out on Lake Jordan and the thermocline was anywhere from 17 to 20 feet depending on where you were at. They aren't below that!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any tips about where you can find striped bass in Jordan lake in the summer time? I’ve seen small pods on sonar and sidescan that may be stripers, but no schools. I guess I’ve lucked out in the past and have been able to locate them. It’s a big lake and I haven’t had any luck all summer.

Any nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
The last striper I caught in Lake Jordan was early May under the Hwy 64 bridge pilings. Trolling under the bridge, if you can believe that! Rubber shad 3.5 inches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts