NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the reservoir about 6:20 AM this morning. Was targeting bass and this was my 2nd trip to the reservoir this year. While paddling out of the boat ramp, I noticed a lot of fish striking on the surface across the lake. The bass were tearing up the bait fish. Caught 5 in about 30 minutes (5, 3, 3, 1..5, 1.5) on surface lures and then the action stopped. It was a blast while it lasted. Ended up catching a small bass, two large crappie (1-1,5 lbs) and a large bluegill in addition casting into some tree tops. All in all, it was a very good morning but the boat traffic started to pick up so I decided to leave. I will probably go back this weekend if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went back this morning, got on the lake about 6 AM. Went directly to the same spot as last Sunday and it was pretty much the same result, although the bass were smaller 1 to 2.5 lbs. Caught and released 4, hooked 3 more but they got off. Action lasted about an hour with the bass tearing up the bait fish on the surface. Ended up sharing the spot with 3 bass boats that were having a tournament. Weather permitting, I'll be back next Sunday morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was using a brand new spinner bait I bought at wally world. It had a white skirt and 2 silver blades. Strike King with 3-D blades. It was pretty cool looking and I caught a 2 lb. bass on my first cast. It was the first time I've tried a spinner bait. Unfortunately, the line snagged during the cast and I launched the spinner bait. I think it reached escape velocity cause that sucker really got some distance. When they are chasing the shad, I've caught them on top water rapalas and shad raps. Rod and reel combo were medium weight spinning tackle. What was cool was that this old fart in a kayak was outfishing the guys in the $25K bass boats but they looked cool!
Oh, I forgot to mention the 3' water moccasin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.