NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used one of these or the Bali 12' (since it's identical aside from color and one rod holder)?
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to decide which kayak is for me and I think I've settled on this one. I wish Dunhams Sports could get this model though since I have a 20% off coupon and that would be a nice discount on something that costs $450.
I was also thinking about a NuCanoe or a m98 Creek Boat http://www.akmccallum.com/creekboats.htm But the lack of speed while paddling has made me shy away from them.

I'm not totally sure if a Kayak is right for me because I've been spoiled by my Bass Hunters stability and space but I think it'll be fun. I think the pros will outweigh the cons with how I will be able to get into choppy water on Jordan or Harris lake and how it will be much faster and easier to get on the water on a whim without having to mess with a battery or trolling motor or all the other stuff associated with the Bass Hunter. The Bass Hunter has only seen the electric only side of Jordan because of how low it sits in the water and how many boats tend to be in the big side of the lake making waves.

This is the kayak I'm thinking about buying http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolph...e-with-Bonus-Paddle/21015144?findingMethod=rr
Some features are
-Swivel rod holder between your legs. Two molded in rod holders behind the seat.
-A comfortable seat.
-Small dry storage compartment in front of you for the phone, keys and wallet.
-Flat bottom where your knees will go when you access the front storage instead of the molded in spots for your feet that are not comfortable at all.
-Rear dry storage that is removable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No scupper holes equal any water that gets in does drain.So if you do go in choppy water the water that gets in the kayak you will have to get out with something.Also doesn't have a seat pad so it will hurt your butt lol.Seen one at walmart looked to be kinda flimsy.I think I would look for something else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realized that it doesn't have any scupper holes right after starting this thread because I was describing what they were to my fiancee.
For the seat I could either get another seat or get this hunting seat pad thing that they have at Dunhams Sports that is a really squishy foam.
It does feel sort of flimsy. I have never used a kayak and only know what I know about them from what I've read online. I assumed the flimsiness was to make it lighter. The display model is fine but the one that the employee carried out of the back for me to check out had a dent in the nose and one next to the seat so I told him that if I buy one that I was going to get the display model.

Are there any decent sit on tops with a fair amount of open storage like the front of the journey that are around or under $500? I like the tarpon 140 but those things are expensive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Look on craigslist for a used one.Google Native Redfish 12 $599 new.A ocean kayak scrambler 11 is pretty open up front and $499.No experience with either but seem to match what your looking for.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm sold on the Native Redfish 12. The ocean kayak has the molded in foot braces and I don't really care for those.
I really like the manta ray but that thing is a few hundred bucks beyond what I decided to spend on a kayak.
From what I see, the closest native dealer is an hour and a half away in Greensboro. There is a little pond near the dealer called Dogwood lake (according to google earth). I wonder if public fishing is allowed. I could also detour onto 64 east while coming south on 421 and hit the Parkers Creek campgrounds area on Jordan lake to give the kayak a test run.
Craigslist is a bust right now for a sit on top kayak.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I doubt it on that small lake,and if I remember right you can't launch a boat at Parker's Creek unless you are camping there.And glad to be of some assistance,maybe call them and see if they can set up a demo before you buy it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do have high point and oak hollow lakes a mile or two from the shop where I'm getting it at, I wonder if they would let me demo one of them.
I just read the website for Jordan lake and it says that Parker's Creek boat ramp is for campers only (I do like camping). I've changed my mind on where I want to go now anyway, it looks like I'll be going to New Hope. There are a couple islands that are not too far from the boat ramp that I'd like to check out. I just drew a path on Google Earth and it's 2.15 miles to hit the Three islands near New Hope and come back to the ramp.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey biglenr I think you already know the Pescador is the old Model Wilderness Tarpon everybody seems to like them.I also seen the ascend kayak looked nice,but it weighs 85lbs and only has a 350lb weight capacity.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a look at the ascend FS128T but I wasn't sold on it. It looks like it would be wobbly with how high the seat is and it looks like it would be harder to paddle than other kayaks because of its width (especially toward the rear). Other than that it looks like a great one.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Yeah, I want to demo that boat. I don't care about the weight, but the low weight limit for a boat of that size concerns me.

I passed on the pescador info because of the great recommendations everyone gives it. Too small for me, but most people aren't behemoths.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at a few more tonight. The Pescador is 28" wide and the Redfish is 30" wide.
In my searching I came across the Perception Sport Caster 12.5 angler and Now I'm considering that one since there is a Gander mountain in Fayetteville (half as far as Greensboro). It is 30" wide as well but it doesn't look as stable as the Redfish. http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...-Angler-Kayak&i=420899&aID=504M2&merchID=4006

·
Registered
491 Posts
I looked at a few more tonight. The Pescador is 28" wide and the Redfish is 30" wide.
In my searching I came across the Perception Sport Caster 12.5 angler and Now I'm considering that one since there is a Gander mountain in Fayetteville (half as far as Greensboro). It is 30" wide as well but it doesn't look as stable as the Redfish. http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...-Angler-Kayak&i=420899&aID=504M2&merchID=4006
I was in there last night didn't see one.There was one Pescador there though

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at pictures of the Redfish again. I keep coming back to that one so I think that's the one I'm going to have to go with.
I was going to get it Friday but a friend at work asked what I was doing Friday and as I answered "going to buy a kayak" I realized that he was about to suggest golf. I thought about it for a minute and realized that if I went Saturday that my dad could go with me so it looks like I'm playing golf Friday and I'm going to be paddling around on Saturday.
I think I'll have to bring the Bass Hunter so my dad won't be stuck on the bank. He would buy a Kayak but he wants to try mine first to see if he can handle sitting in one for a long period of time because he has back issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give my opinion of my first kayak ever. I won't be able to compare it to any other kayak since I've never been in one. The closest thing I'll have to compare it to was when I got my canoeing merit badge in boy scouts (sinking the boat was part of the merit badge requirements).
I've been spoiled by the stability of the school bus (Bass Hunter) for the last 7 years so kayak is going to be a whole new world for me.
One thing I plan on doing if the water ever warms up is going out in water over my head with just the oar and my pfd then getting a lean going on to test the limits of the kayak. After flipping I will get to try out getting back in it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan on getting wet either way. I want to find out how much moving around I can do before I risk saturating my tackle bag.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought it. The guy said that they don't order the angler version because the rod holders and anchor trolly and other things that the angler version comes with is cheaper for them and for the customer if they just add those things to the base model at the shop. I had them add two rod holders behind the seat but opted out of the one in front because I don't bait fish and I thought it would be kind of hard to paddle with a line dragging right in the oars path.
I also bought a color matching pfd and a paddle leash. I bought a Carlisle day tripper paddle (220cm) at Dunhams Sports the other day, that saved me about $50 vs. buying one at Get Outdoors.
My initial thoughts are that I like it enough to buy it. I'm taking it out on the water tomorrow. I did really like the Native Ultimate 12 with a booster block under the seat and the Wilderness Systems Ride 135 but those two are way over what I decided to spend on a yak ($450-550 was the original thought). I'm in it for $785 total right now and I still need to buy some 550 cord, a few aluminum carabiners and pad eyes.

I had to go for the master chiefs armor color since they didn't have camo.
603589_485992928141182_1751521319_n.jpg
942102_485992984807843_1747737009_n.jpg
901144_485993024807839_1606063837_o.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts