NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit the water around 9 AM from Sunset Beach ramp. Ran to the Jetties and headed to Jim Caudle, North wind so the seas were a bit confused (Choppy) the further we got from shore. Drift fished for about 45 minutes with 2- 3 foot shark hook-ups and a few baby Sea Bass. Ran back in to just outside the Jetties and trolled some Pink and Green Clarke spoons for Spanish. Pink was the hot color and we had 8 in the boat in about an hour with only 4 keepers, the largest was a fat 19 inches. The mullet were jumping in huge schools everywhere so we anchored up by the north side at the end of the out going tide. We threw mullet, squid with no results. Most of the people around use were using live mullet or mud minnows with no luck. We cut a frozen blue we had brought with us and dropped 2 lines in. Wham off one went ...... Huge Red Drum, smart too, went around the prop so fast we could not stop him. Cut line. Seconds later Wham rod #2 went off and my wife hung on ...... under the boat he went as I raised the engine out of the water. She played him like a true fisher person, adjusting the drag as needed. Her first Red and she was not going to lose him. 20 minutes later he was in the net and being measured while she literally hugged him lol. 25-1/2". Good thing he was a slot because she would not have been fit to live with if he had to go back. The water temp had dropped to 81 from 84 2 days previously so the fishing is getting better with the cooler temps. coming. The people around us changed baits in a hurry lol. He was very tasty. Get out there and fish .... getting better everyday.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Live and learn, mistakes happen. I hope it was just a typo because I'd love for those bigguns to still be out there for me to catch! But lets be honest, when I first started surf fishing I came home with a cooler full of the prettiest dad gum 17" croaker I had ever seen! Had a really weird spot on their tails though...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
^ I understand living and learning too but I also learned how to identify what I caught. Esp this day in age of about everyone having a smart phone. I saw three guys on a pier in bay river one day with a bucket and a half full of "big croakers". Its no excuse. I feel like it was a typo and I know I'm a jaded butt hole sometimes but I'm sick of the excuses. It is overwhelming sometimes to go out of your way to do things right and you still come up here with a fish ID please post of a fish in a sink or cooler. If you don't know let it go. You can find out and know next trip. It's is crazy how much I see this. People not knowing. Research, find the regs and make a cheat sheet. Do what you got to do but be right!! I think we can all agree with this. This isn't a jab or a tempt at my sarcastic humor that I display very often. This is a legit statement that I think everyone here can agree with. I know most on here go out of there way to do things right but if you don't know a size, creel, or id of something you catch let it go and go home, man up and do some homework or sell your fishing gear. Nc is already a tornado of bad crap on the web everyday about fishing so do your part and don't be a part of it!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe there are people that read this forum every day that will keep every fish they catch if they don't think they will get checked. If your one of those people. Shame on You. You don't deserve to call yourself a sportsman and you don't care about the future of fishing.
I'm new here, and I don't want to offend anyone, but I have to say I totally agree with Roostertail. If a man (or woman) has a fish outside the creel limits, they better be hungry and starving. Our natural resources are valuable and we should consider that value every time we set out to pursue them. I love eating the game/fish that I have taken, there is something satisfying and primal about it. But I will not starve if I do not take anything.

We have limits for a reason, to protect our fish and game from our ignorance and stupidity.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I agree with Sandbar. On my keyboard the "2" and the "3" keys are really close together. I'm sure it was a typo. Cut the guy some slack. Aquaholic3720 is a veteran, a Captains Club and Red X Angler member and he's been around here awhile. I'm sure he knows the slot size for drum.

Thanks for sharing your day on the water and your wife's excitement with the catch. And thanks too for your service. :cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
WOW ..... OK I have fat fingers .... yes it was 25-1/2". I have edited my posting accordingly. I should have proof read it before submitting. I am very resource conscious and only keep what I am going to eat. I have caught many over and under slot that went back in. I'm not sure I deserve the few slams I got above and if I was one of those type of fisherman I sure would not advertise and over the slot Drum. Thanks to all (Sandbar, NCANGLER etc.) who jumped to my defense. Please accept my apology as it was an honest mistake.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Good deal. I admit I jumped to conclusions at first but later stated I thought it was a typo. I'm a sarcastic butt sometime. Glad you got em. What I did say about all the other stuff still stands and knowing you have been here on Nca for a while I'm glad that it was a typo and glad you and your wife had a good day!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.