NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't make much time to fish this weekend as I had a few other things on my plate. By about 5 o'clock I decided I needed to get out and do something with the gauges looking as good as they did, so I loaded up and hit my favorite hole.

When I got there I couldn't believe the water clarity and how low the levels were. I saw the bottom in places I had never seen it before, and rocks I didn't know existed.

I had planned on throwing a net for some bait and letting it sit in hopes of landing a flathead, but I knew I was pressed for time and quickly began throwing, you guessed it, a speedcraw in hopes of landing some bass.

Things got off to a frustrating start. I had several fish jump and spit the hook before I started getting more solid hook sets and landing fish.

The first fish I got in hand was a smallmouth that was a touch over 12 inches. It was then that I decided to go back and grab my phone. Last time I was here I had a nice day but was kicking myself for not taking any pictures.

I also decided to leave my Medium-Light at home. The setup has 6lb braid and just didn't have the backbone I wanted for decent sized smallies. I had a nice fish break me off and I decided not to let that happen again.

For about 45 minutes I found my groove, and throwing to one hole produced a fish on nearly every cast. I was really pleased with the smallmouth:spot ratio. I think I caught about 7 or 8 smallmouth to just 1 spot.

At one point I had a fish on for about 3 minutes. It was doing some vicious head shakes and pulling a lot of drag before it finally threw the hook. Luckily there was no one around while I wove a tapestry of obscenities. It could have very well just been a catfish that grabbed my lure off the bottom.

I could only fish for a little over an hour before I had to hightail it back to my car before the sun went down. Next time I'll be sure to go for a little longer, that way I can try to land a big cat before my summer is over.

I saw an osprey and some otters on the way back to the car. A couple guys in a jon boat had just landed a flathead that was probably in the 30lb range.

Hopefully I'll be able to fit in a short trip back after work one day this week, because next weekend and the following few days I'll be up North for a wedding and in Emerald Isle with the gf's family.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Nice haul of smallies; was that 3rd pic a spot or largemouth? Out of curiosity and partly related to that question, what part of the state were you in? Just curious.

Thanks for the report. Sorry you didn't get to see that big one!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I thought it was a spot but I could be wrong. I'm honestly really bad at telling the difference. I'm pretty sure I saw a patch on the tongue, and to me it didn't look like the jaw extended past the eye. I'm sure you and others on here know better than I do though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess I would say I was in the western Piedmont/foothills.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thank you! I thought it was a spot but I could be wrong. I'm honestly really bad at telling the difference. I'm pretty sure I saw a patch on the tongue, and to me it didn't look like the jaw extended past the eye. I'm sure you and others on here know better than I do though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure looks like a spot to me.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts

Looks like a spot to me as well. Closing the mouth, looking at the jaw angle is the best way to tell. With the mouth closed, if the jaw doesn't go behind the eye it's a spot. The tooth patch is not a 100% specific finding but is helpful; I usually can feel it better than see it. I was curious where you found the spotted bass as I'm just interested in knowing what watersheds they are already in. Maybe if you don't mind sometime, PM me the watershed you caught it in, and if it's below or above any major reservoirs (if you don't mind sharing, if you do, I understand).

Reactions: cmckearney
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.