NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sundrop, I went up to the area that you recommended at Kerr Lake last night. Had to put in west of the bridge in the state park but the paddle was only about 15 minutes up to the bridge. I can see what you mean about boats not getting through the bridge as there was barely enough room for me to slide under it with my kayak. The water is about 25 to 30 feet deep. I thought the batteries on my fish finder were going to run out of juice as the fish alarm kept going off. Many times 10 to 20 fish would swim under my boat at a time. They were all between eight and 15 feet deep. I could see large fish chasing baitfish quite often. My fishfinder did not show any underwater structure. But, every line I threw in water got caught up. Even though I was anchored about 10 to 15 feet south of the bridge I must have been moving just enough to hang myline. I threw various sinker rigs including a sliding sinker and sinkers one lines 12 to 24 inches longbut they all hung up. Didn't catch any fish but then again my line was only in the water for a total of about five minutes. I want to rethink what I'm doing then get back as soon as possible. The people fishing one the bridge were not having any luck either. I thought it was amusing that they were tossing their net to get shad and coming up empty when my fishfinder showed large schools just under the bridge almost all the time. I even lost my new Daiwa Rod when it snapped in half before I could cut the line. Thanks for the tip. It is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the misspellings but I'm using my mouth again to type. Ha ha I mean speech recognition software.:eek:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm waiting on sundrop to finish upgrading that boat so he can take us out and physically show us the spots!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely need to replenish my supplies. I don't know when I'll get down to Smithfield, but I want to. Lost every sinker that I had except for the small pinch on sinkers. Most of my hooks are gone too! Now I need to figure how to pay for it. Moms watching closely!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Glenn,
Sorry you had a hard time hanging up. I know that all along that bridge their are cables of some sort and if you fish at/around the bridge your best to stick to using a bobber. Most guys that fish from the catwalk will cast to the right of center at least 60ft or so... I dont know what is underwater there but it holds Cats and you dont hangup. I always wanted to anchor nearby some night and see what I
could do but I didnt have a boat when i lived up there.
When the netters are throwing in the water the fish gang up under the bridge but they are "spooked" and won't bite. I've had many a good run on Crappie around the bridge ruined by netters splashing around....
Use the depth finder to locate the drop off from the shallow to main channel and fish just off that drop.I used to "guess" the break from the bridge and try to have one line in the channel and one just on the edge of the drop because Cats will wander up into shallows looking for food as well... I think the channel must run pretty straight through there according to what I have observed boats doing back when I didn't have one...
I will have to haul up there sometime and do some better scouting now that I have a boat..

Reactions: kayakingglenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Eagle Cuda 250 sounded like an arcade game. I had forgotten how to turn off the sound. It was pretty exciting watching all the action however it was also very frustrating not having a line in the water at the time.:(

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
While you are stocking up at Corey's pick up a few slipfloats. They will greatly reduce your hang-ups and allow you to set the depth as deep as you like and still cast from a sitting position. Get him to show you how to rig them. Also due to the way the line goes out and then down you have to reel in a good bit of slack before you can set the hook.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sinker man......how those they slipfloat work? I imagine, you can set it up so that it works a different depths. Obviously with all my fishing knowledge in years of experience, Ha Ha Ha I have never used on.:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.