NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Sunset this Saturday and am considering taking my boat(17ft alum bass). Is the fishing in ICW around Sunset good enough to warrant hauling the boat 8 hrs?
If so what is the best way to approach? I normally surf and pier fish so not sure what is best in the canals.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey wveer - welcome to NC Angler.

I'm not sure how to respond to is it "good enough to warrant hauling the boat 8 hour". The answer is very subjective. That said and done, the fishing in the sound and waterway is usually pretty good this time of year. Anglers are catching Red Drum, flounder, black drum, and sheephead to name a few.

A Carolina rig with some live bait (finger mullet, mud minnow or menhaden) or rigged with cut bait is a great place to start. A jighead with a Berkely Gulp Shrimp is another good choice. You also can bottom fish with the standard 2 hook dropper and a bank sinker.

In any case I hope you have a great trip, with or without the boat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
wveer, trolling for flounder is real good in Tubs inlet on the upper end of the isle. The little river inlet is real good fishing also, it produces all the fish Topsail mentioned.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One thing to consider is making sure you have all of your required safety gear onboard and brush up on the rules of the road because it will be one of the big vacation weeks and the waterways will be buzzing with all sorts of craft and a few extra enforcement types. Whatever you do you will have to deal with a few extra folks trying to have a good time so plan for a little extra wait or inconvience here or there and things will probably work out OK. Good luck and I hope to hear back from you that the fishing was good!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Make sure you bring a hose and engine flusher so you can get that salt out ASAP! Flush live wells and everythng as soon as you pull out..or you'll have fish kills in your tanks when you get back in fresh water...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help!
I have not totally convinced the other parties going that we need the boat but I think I'll win in the end. I want to try for some trout and flounder in the ICW.
I already checked boating regs to make sure I was compliant and I'm OK.
I'll check back in and let you know what we caught. My 2 neices(13 & 14) are going and looking forward to fishing so my hope is that they catch some big ones!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We look forward to a report!

Catch 'em up!
Hey, next time you're down here and need someone to go fishing with, give me an email. We just moved here in Nov and have been fishing Sunset Beach bridge lately. Slow fishing but seems a boat is the trick. One guy i see all the time, with good looking black lab just waiting to the 'big' one, seems to do rather well. Seems to know he's stuff. Nice guy.

dan
calabash

·
Registered
116 Posts
Speaking as someone you has been dragging an aluminum boat to the salt land for quite a few years now, I was always paranoid about salt in the begining and still am. But with that said, FIRST thing I do is completely strip my boat, wash the boat inside and out including under the deck, fill it up with water to the deck, wash the trailer and try to put the hose to every nook and crany I can find. Wash my outboards thru the cups, take the covers off and rinse. Once you think you have everything clean of all salt, repeat the process again. Lotta work, and maybe I'm being a bit too cautious but I've never had a problem, at least until last weekend when One of my seat mounts broke loos from the floor. I was really amazed at how much salt had accumulated under the mount. Probably shul have taken those off too. My nickle.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I guess I neglect my boats. The one I use the most is a 2005. It has never been rinsed, or anything. It gets used 3-6 times a week, on a good week. So I am like "what's the point of washing and flushing". The only time it gets rinsed out, is too get all of the fish slime off of the floor. That is usually a bucket of saltwater dumped in, while I am fishing. The first thing I do with a boat, is replace all of the hardware with stainless steel and rewire it. Even if it is new.:eek: I replace all of the wiring with heavy gauge corrossion resistant wiring. The wire is expensive, but it saves a lot of time and headache in the long run. The marina's in my area carry all of the wire, stainless screws, washers, parts etc.. A little 5200 and stainless screws and hardware= trouble free fishing for years.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
BreadMan---You owe me a new keyboard--I just sprayed it with 7up (atavar got me). I'm with you, I'm not much on teak and mahogany. Throw it overboard in the spring--take it out in the winter. Knock the barnacles off and repaint the bottom. I buy a boat to use and don't waste good fishing time on excessive cleaning. I will take a hose to it at the dock after a seagull raid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just to clarify, my boat is aluminum. A few pieces are cast at that and even with the admittedly excessive cleaning I do, I still get salt growth and pits on the cast aluminum. I'd really rather spend my time fishing too, but I also want to make sure I have my boat for years too come. I'm sure there are many opinions, an explainations on boat care and could probaly dedicate a whole sub-forum to just boat care. Me I only get the chance once or twice a year to get my boat seasoned by the salt so I feel it's worth the extra care to make sure she's always going to be there for the fresh water which I think is what the original question was relating to. But I don't live on salt water either so, maybe I am just paranoid, bui I don't want to take the chance on being wrong. If my boat was fiberglass I probably wouldn't spend near the time on it that I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.