NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dan, I lived on O.I.B for about 15 years and fished Tubbs inlet often. The creek that runs behind the highrise on O.I.B is called the eastern channel, it's a great place for flounder, trout and redfish. The big hole behind Sunset is also a good bet. The main cannel just inside the inlet is a good place to anchor on a rising tide and fish live bait for the above mentioned fish.

Another place that you should keep in mind is the hole down stream of the sunset bridge, just inside the pilings on the mainland side. The creek just downstream of the sunset bridge is very deep just inside the mouth, I've pulled some nice flounder out of it.

Hope this info helps some.

ps, Calabash, I wish you did'nt mention that, I can smell the seafood right now!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've noticed that big hole backside of Sunset/Tubbs inlet area. Am thinking about selling my sailboat and buying something for inshore fishing. Where I'm at right now, we have a nice 17' canoe, right across our development is Bird Island with a cut heading into it. too small for boats, i think, but night be interesting for canoe fishing.

I've seen that spot/sunset beach bridge area being fished. one guys seems always to be tired up to right next to bridge structure. Looks like he knows what's happening.

Grew up beach fishing in California, you know, two hooks, two sinkers and paper cup for soft shell sand flea's. Small rod, no need for one of those monster rods. Always hooked up Corbina. Greek neighbor took whatever roe I had and did some awesome cooking with it. Spent next 30 years trout fishing up in northern ca, then out in NY. So, I can tell you, fishing has changed completely. Felt like a fool having some young kid explain how things are rigged. Wife said to shut up and just listen.

Might walk down to ICW this morning and toss a line. Just need to do some fishing.

Calabash food....maybe I'm missing the point. Seems it's all FRIED
Kind of like fried right to your heart. Now don't get me wrong..it's good. But shoe leather tastes good when fried and with beer. We did find/discover that gas station over on OIB that has grouper filets on ice in back. Schackles? Nice folks, and really fresh fish.

Thanks for the comeback. Mabye we'll cross paths some day.

kind regards,
dj

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to really enjoy walk/fishing Tubbs before new developement closed
off the access on the eastern end of Sunset. How are you walking it now?
around the ocean side? if so you can only park at the pier and thats a looong
walk. unless of course you own or know someone closer. I have a place at Seatrails
i frequent and wish they had some public access there.

I'll start my pilgramages down soon, might see ya around.

reiddog

·
Registered
61 Posts
DJ,

My family has a place in OIB. I just got a kayak for fishing the sounds. I have heard a lot about the Sunset Beach Bridge too. Looks like it holds some big fish. I plan on scouting the area this summer a few times when I can make it down. I have also heard good things about Tubbs. The store you are speaking of on OIB is Sheffield's. They are real good people. They run charters out back and have fresh fish/shrimp daily. When I come down this summer, we should get up and fish some of the creeks around that area. Hope you will be familiar w/ them by that point to save me the bulk of the learning factor. I am new to red/trout fishing, but have freshwater fished for bass for a long time. Seems like a lot of similar artificials. Then you can always go w/ a cast net & shrimp too. Shoot me a PM and give me your info. I can give you a call when I come down.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Am thinking about selling my sailboat and buying something for inshore fishing. Where I'm at right now, we have a nice 17' canoe, right across our development is Bird Island with a cut heading into it. too small for boats, i think, but night be interesting for canoe fishing.
Dan J, you might want to think about a sit on top kayak. I fish from one and love it. It is light, portable,(I throw it in the back of my S-10 Blazer), there is room behind the seat for gear, has fishing rod holders, is very quiet, and is highly maneuverable. My 2 cents.

Johnny
"FishinTopsail"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.