NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonite while studying the SC coast for places to fish I realized I was seeing something very rare,,,a birdseye view of the shorelne at what must be this years Astronomical Low Tide. I zoomed in and sure enough the second bar at folly beach pier was high and dry. Anyone interested in using this super secret weapon will have to use google maps click on hybrid (satellite and map) and zoom all the way in on Folly Beach Pier( about 25 miles south of Charleston).You can use this for finding likely fishing spots anywhere along the coast but this is the most intriguing pictures I have seen yet. It shows how bars form in the surf and the troughs of deeper water between them and the shore line and even the breaks in the bars are visible if you look for them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I have thought that before too, but, you must realize, those pics on google earth are probably more than one year old. I've read that they update; however, I look about once per month at the obx images and they rarely change. Anyone else have any thoughts on this or actually know when they are updated please let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For an even better look download and install Google Earth. With Google Earth you can look at the current image in higher detail, and also look at past images. These images aren't update often enough to pinpoint sand bars that come and go...

Here's a neat article about this subject. He's talking bass fishing but the tools and how to use them are the same.

Mapping Tools for Bass Fishing : BassFishin.Com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.