NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Saturday, me and 2 friends checked out Surf City Ocean Pier and were not really disappointed. We are all pretty new to saltwater fishing in North Carolina and 2 of us new to saltwater in general so we needed some help starting out, which the locals were glad to provide. Turns out I keep losing my bait because my hook is too big for the fish thats biting it. Go figure. The price was a very reasonable $9 for a full 24 hours of fishing.

Now to the action. In the morning, we had fresh deheaded shrimp and were bottom fishing about 50 ft from the end of the pier, and after a few snags on the stumps of the old peir, we were catching whiting and croaker left and right. We pulled in 3 nice sized whiting which was enough for one guy to bring home and fillet, not sure how he cooked them up. Another in our group pulled out a just-too-small flounder. All around us the whiting were being pulled up, and one guy was tearing up the flounder, though I think he only got 1 big enough to keep the 3 hours we were there. Total that morning we pulled out about 12 whiting, 6 croaker, and 1 flounder.

Once the biting had slowed down to 1 an hour after sunrise, we packed up to go home and nap and pan fry some triggerfish I caught at MAD 8 Morehead City (Great time by the way).

We cast netted some live pin fish right after sunset for fishing that evening. We got to the pier about 10 pm and the bites started immediately. It was a little crowded at first, but thinned out shortly after high tide, and the bites thinned out shortly thereafter. That night we pulled in about 6 whiting, 3 croaker, and I hooked a nice trout, but my hook was too small and he fell off right as I was about to pull him out of the water.

Overall I am very impressed and plan on going back every chance I get.

EDIT: We didn't get any pictures and I forgot to write the weights down :/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just figured out what you mean by pier net, I'll be looking into getting one.

The triggerfish came out great. My wife tore it up and she rarely eats more than a couple bites of my seafood. She says I season it too spicy, must be the Cajun in me.

I signed up for the Southport MAD, but I think it was too late. I haven't heard anything yet. I brought a Mahi and a half home, half a big trigger, and a little sea bass home. I still have sea bass and half a mahi left. I'll see if I can find a place to upload my pics from that MAD. I do h

1 - 7 of 7 Posts