NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received two calls from out of town buddies today, both on their way to Surf City Pier. So I decided to head their myself this afternoon and linked up with Mark (Pier Dweller) and Gary (SlowRiser).

There had been several cobia caught there this week-end and Mark was set-up on the end of the pier trying for one. Gary and I spent some time plugging for small blues and bouncing some bucktails for flounder and what ever else might be on the bottom.

Mark didn't catch a cobia but did catch a couple chopper blues in the 6 1/2 - 8 pound range - I helped gaff one of them (not an easy task on the end of the pier in 20 knot winds). I caught a few small blues, Gary caught a 13 1/2 inch flounder.

I saw some nice black drum caught as well as a few croakers and mullet. Not bad for such a windy day.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good to see ya again Mike, and it was also nice to meet Gary. Thursday, was actually the best day weather-wise...........The wind wasn't howling! LOL I don't mind the rain so much, as long as there's no Thunder and Lightning. Enjoyed the trip out, even though, the fish wouldn't cooperate,.......but it's always nice to get together with good friends.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mike I see you took a page from Forrest's book. Old age and treachery will prevail even if it means having your picture taken with the fish your buddy caught! :D:D The fishing might not have been great but it was better than spending the day with a heart doctor I'm sure. Besides that leaves a few more for later. Gotta have something to look forward to.;)
Mark, you and Gary had better watch your fish around Mike...Especially when he doesn't catch a picture fish!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup - if you catch the bait (small blues) for your bud and then help him gaff the fish (actually I was holding the reel and keeping him out of the pilings while Mark had the gaff) I guess getting a picture made with the fish is called an ASSIST, not treachery...:D:eek:;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll tell ya fellas, when you're out there, going around anchor rods, light poles, and anything else that could possibly get in your way, any help is DEEPLY appreciated, LOL Mike definately did a great job while the "Captain" gaffed his fish, LOL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I know how tough that job can be. I guess I got my pier gaff phD on chopper blues in Va and the outerbanks. I used to tell them if they could get one within the reach of the rope I could gaff'em. I have yet to lose one but I know I'm not as practiced as I used to be. The biggest so far and I hope it remains so... 553 lb dusky shark that everydody else had declined to attempt because he was about 10' down. He had took a 1/2 turn around a piling and the guy's 130 mono was against the barnacles. Of course as soon as I hit him he was all mine till he settled down enough for the other guys to finally get another gaff to hold in him. To tell the truth I was almost all his as I had the rope wrapped around the top rail and my feet braced against the middle rail and he still lifted my 240 lbs up off the pier when he went to tailwalking. I thought for sure I was going in with him pier rail and all. I was about 19 then and tough as a pine knot but my hands were still sore the following weekend and my tailbone was tender for 2 or 3 days from dropping back down to the pier when he got thru tailwalking. I really felt like I did more to catch that one than the guy with the rod and reel. The funny thing was he was supposed to be recuperating from surgery and he was down on his knees, rod pulled down over the pier rail and big ol crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks just begging 'Somebody please gaff this fish' when I got back out from tailroping a couple of 125 class ones near the surf. It seemed like everybody had a gaff in their hand but they were all saying "he's too deep" . My fishing partner lost one that size 2 weeks later to a board sticking out from the pier after some dummy tried to gaff him back near the tail and right then we agreed that it was better that he got off. We set our limit at 150lbs because that is more than plenty of good eating steaks. Manhandling a big shark around will wear out several people for what it's worth. It took 9 of us to drag a measley 350lb'er over the dunes one time. I could have carried the best part of that by myself Lol. Young and dumb I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.