NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like for anyone on this site who surf fishes regularly to take a look at this picture and let me know their thoughts. I found the structure at low tide last week. It was the only interesting looking structure in the area.

You can see a deep trough running parallel to the beach. This was at low tide. The trough exits just above the second "point" in the photo (at the top). It then runs perpendicular to the beach and cuts through the sandbar.

At high tide the trough would be within easy casting distance of the beach, quite possibly only a few dozen yards out.

How would you fish this structure and would you expect it to be productive?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've had better luck fishing them on high tide. Low tide I've usually got a few finger mullet in my pockets and traversed the river and am standing on the sandbar fishing the back side of that bar or the next bar.

It really depends on what you are fishing for and what you want to catch.
If I can get to the backside of a bar, I'll fish the backside more than the front side.
If I'm fishing for whities I'm concentrating on finding holes. A hole could be the size of a kitchen table or the size of a garage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the water was warmer.. Smaller flounder and mullets will follow bait into the trough. Obviously high tide will be better, and I would still focus on where all that water flows out.. The bigger ones will wait for the bait to flush out/come to them. But looks still too shallow to fish backside of the first bar. If that's the method, listen to drum runner^^ walk out there and fish the next hole.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys to clarify, that trough is too shallow to fish at the time of day I took the picture. However, at high tide it is completely covered. There is a pretty big tide change at that area.

I was really asking what should I focus on at rising/high tide- the trough, or the entrance and exits

That trough is probably 4-5 foot deep at high tide

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the trough during rising tide, instead I would fish the back side or the hole at the end. I would fish the trough at slack to falling tide for a little while. But, as has been said it really depends on what you're targeting.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
You have to fish thru the tides to see what works.
In the last two months fished a similar looking spot.
We had large schools of Reds cruising up & down at high tide, a trapped school of Black Drum on a falling tide & nothing but sand on a low tide.
Wind directions & speeds will alter that slough also. ...... ICM

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
My preference would be go walk where your 2nd point is at in your picture and fish where all that water is flushing out of that trough. Of course fish will move and so should you if your not getting any action but whatever goes in that trough will more than likely exit where the water is rushing out. Freshest shrimp you can find should put you in the hunt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.