NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to surf fish Bear Island and not use the ferry, where do I beach my boat to walk over? Near Brown Inlet? How far is the walk? Are two anchors recommended? Any other tips so I don't come back and have no boat?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have never surf fished bear island, but we used to beach at either end. If you are heading out toward Bogue Inlet, you can turn right and there is a nice beaching area near a creek mouth. It is a little bit of a walk to the surf but you have a better chance of not coming back to find your boat high and dry. If you want a shorter walk the Bear Inlet side would be better, not to mention we usually found more shells on that end. I would advise against leaving any gear on your boat as I have known several people who have had stuff stolen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have docked just to the left of the ferry dock. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with doing that, unless there is already another boat there.

Getting to Bear Inlet can be challenging, particularly at low tide. I would not do it unless I was following someone else that had done it before, but it is pretty nice on that end and I have seen some surf anglers do pretty well.

Last time I was at Bear Inlet we watched two guys actually attempt to get out of the inlet in a skiff. They ended up doing the right thing - turning around - but I kept wondering if we were going to have to make a call on their behalf...

Reactions: papadave
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.