NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to fish the Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure beach area for trout, reds, flounder etc. My inshore rod is a 7'6" medium rated to throw up to 5/8th oz. I fish this setup with 15 lb braid and use it to throw popping cork, jighead with a 4" paddletail, etc... in the surf

I'm looking to get a rod that's longer for more casting distance, and rated to throw gotcha plugs, metal jigs and spoons up to 1.5 oz. Should I be looking for 8' or 9'?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a long list of “Greatest Football Player of All Time” this will not going to end if you will talk about the greatest football players so you will find passionate or dedicated players, who have given their whole life in the name of sports, and they also created some historical moments in their life.

·
Registered
100 Posts
9 H or MH with a 1/2 to 3 oz rating should work well. Check out Lamiglass or Shimano's salmon/steelhead rods. Very sensitive tip, but enough backbone to handle large fish and get some distance. They run around $100-120 and well worth the money. If the blues or spanish are not working, you can easily switch over and put out a 2 oz bottom rig for whiting and pompano.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You don't really need a longer rod for the surf for the beaches you mentioned, unless you just want to buy another rod.
If that's the case go with a 9' steelhead rod for throwing lures. If you plan on fishing bait, you will need a stiffer rod.
I can sell you one I no longer use. Pictured (left) 10' (right) 9' rod & reel $125. each......PM me for details ........ICM
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a Penn Squadron III Surf Rod 9' medium action- 2 pc through Amazon for $54.87. I had done some heavy duty researching before acquiring this rod. It had awesome reviews. Can't wait to try it out. May be just what you need also. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts