NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to fish the Wrightsville, Carolina, Kure beach area for trout, reds, flounder etc. My inshore rod is a 7'6" medium rated to throw up to 5/8th oz. I fish this setup with 15 lb braid and use it to throw popping cork, jighead with a 4" paddletail, etc... in the surf

I'm looking to get a rod that's longer for more casting distance, and rated to throw gotcha plugs, metal jigs and spoons up to 1.5 oz. Should I be looking for 8' or 9'?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
100 Posts
9 H or MH with a 1/2 to 3 oz rating should work well. Check out Lamiglass or Shimano's salmon/steelhead rods. Very sensitive tip, but enough backbone to handle large fish and get some distance. They run around $100-120 and well worth the money. If the blues or spanish are not working, you can easily switch over and put out a 2 oz bottom rig for whiting and pompano.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
You don't really need a longer rod for the surf for the beaches you mentioned, unless you just want to buy another rod.
If that's the case go with a 9' steelhead rod for throwing lures. If you plan on fishing bait, you will need a stiffer rod.
I can sell you one I no longer use. Pictured (left) 10' (right) 9' rod & reel $125. each......PM me for details ........ICM
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a Penn Squadron III Surf Rod 9' medium action- 2 pc through Amazon for $54.87. I had done some heavy duty researching before acquiring this rod. It had awesome reviews. Can't wait to try it out. May be just what you need also. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts