NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a constant 4 feet of snow on the ground this winter in New York I'm bringing my family to Topsail at the end of April to spend two weeks on the beach. I'm an avid salmon and steelhead fisherman up North and I really want to try some surf fishing. Can anyone give me some pointers....rigs, bait, technique...etc. Any particular fish active at the end of April in the surf? Best time to fish? Low Tide? High?

I'll take any free online lessons anyone wants to offer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to NC Angler!

In April the surf fishing won't be full bore yet but you should be able to catch some nice fish. Mainly Va Mullet or Sea Mullet, Bluefish, flounder and sharks and maybe a red drum or two.

Best time to surf fish is usually the two hours on either side of high tide. But scope the beach out during low tide and find the troughs and sand bars, that's were the fish will be.

I hope you have a great trip to Topsail, it's a great family beach.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome NYSTEELHEAD. The are so many ways to fish from the surf with various rigs and baits. It depends greatly on what species you are trying to catch. In June, the Blues, Spanish, mullet, pompano, black drum, reds, spot, flounder and specs are in the surf waters. Shrimp (best if you can get live ones/most places have previously frozen), bloodworms, cut bait, and plastic grubs work. You can fish with 6' to 15' rods, again depending on species and as the size increases so does the distance of your cast. Your sinkers/anchors/weights should be anywhere from 2oz to 5oz depending on the water conditions and wind. Probably two most important things in surf fishing is (1) getting your bait to where the fish are and (2) learning to read the beach. Finding the "holes" takes some preparation and watching. Watch those who are out there and find out what they are doing. Ask questions at the local bait shops. You'll learn just like the rest of us that you need a plan and a goal. Then, be prepared to adapt to whatever is successful. The big thing this past summer and fall were green grubs with red jig heads for Specs. Gotcha Plugs work really well for Blues and Spanish. It is a lot to take in, I know, but that is the fun and excitement of fishing the OBX of NC. Different day, different conditons, different catch, and the first person who tells you he knows all about it is not to be trusted, because they're lying. We never know everything.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
as back lash already asked where in ny do ya live -seeing i am from western ny- and have a extentsive back ground in salmon,steele head,and trout in that region..

zooker

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I'm from the Syracuse area. I spend the late fall through about February hitting whatever streams I can off Lake Ontario. I recently found a small stream just East of Rochester where I had a very good days catch. This stream was about 7-10 feet wide and had a run of Browns and Steelhead that was truly amazing.

We have been to Topsail about six times in the last ten years and I decided to take up surf fishing while we are down this year. My wife and I love the Topsail area which is why we keep returning.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll let you guys know how I do.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
After a constant 4 feet of snow on the ground this winter in New York I'm bringing my family to Topsail at the end of April to spend two weeks on the beach. I'm an avid salmon and steelhead fisherman up North and I really want to try some surf fishing. Can anyone give me some pointers....rigs, bait, technique...etc. Any particular fish active at the end of April in the surf? Best time to fish? Low Tide? High?

I'll take any free online lessons anyone wants to offer. Thanks in advance.
If you have never surf fished before, you may want to think about one of the local piers. Surf fishing can be a little frustrating if you've never done it. Espicially if the surf is rough that day. If you are coming mid to late April, you will have quite a few options. There will be specs around,Spanish Mackerel, depending on water temp, Black Drum, and a mixed bag of small panfish. Any of the piers can put you on the right track for whatever is hitting at that time. Spanish Mackerel are great to catch off of the pier, very exciting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
nysteelhead im also from up north im used to surf fishing of cape cod with surface poppers for stripers and big blues. You dont see many people use those to much down here at least from what ive seen yet when there not biting anything else a 3 in surface popper will drive a blue wild. Otherwise the rig i always use which seems to always work i have 12-15 pd test on the reel i put a sinker slide on with a 3 to 5 oz sinker then tie a barrel swivel and connect a 2 hook rig out of 30lb mono leader. i make the leader about chest high and thats how far i throw it out. put long thin strips of mullet or squid on the bottom on and a shrimp on the top one . When the sinker settles the shrimp will be down near the bottom( for the flounder and such) and the top one will be going back and forth on top of the water with the waves which is going to attract the more aggressive game fish. Try that out and see if that works. and like they said those mirrolures and gotcha plugs work great too:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Always go with a 3-6 oz shiny spoon such as a Luhr Jenson Krocodile Spoon. Tie it on to a stiff rod at least 8' in length and no more than 10' due to the exhaustion factor. Use a good black swivel and a wire leader tied to a reel you can cast well. Spooled with a decent braid, you will cast far to the diving birds if possible. Small bottom rigs with fresh cut mullet and shrimp in neat small pieces work very well too. Take a rod holder so you can put your stick down somewhere besides the sand. I use a pointed piece of pvc. A very small bait cooler for fishy bait is good to have also. Buy a license and keep it simple. It does not take alot of tackle to catch fish. Any hardbait you can cast far is OK. Spoons are best. Washinton's breader mix and fresh lemons make fried fish excellent...even blues. Make sure you bleed em while they're still kickin then put em on ice. Enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try using fishbites artifical bloodworms and crab. This stuff is the best and if you don't catch anything the bait will keep as long as you keep the bag sealed and the bait dry. It is the best stuff I have found for catching just about anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the rig information. I have succesfully convinced the boss (my wife) to make our trip a 2 week stay this year which will allow me to try some other things I've been wanting to try. We were down once in 1997 and a fisherman I met introduced me to clamming which was just a whole lot of fun. Can anyone give me some good spots to try down there. Is clamming pretty much open to anywhere where in the sound? I am not familiar with any specific rules regarding this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.