NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,
I'm headed out to emerald isle for the week of 4th of july. i've been going for the last 2 years.my son and i spend most of our time surf fishing but never manage to catch much. weve got our fare share of dog sharks(at least that's what i think they are called) and a few small spots(always end up using them for bait) But have yet to manage to catch anything serious. I could really use some tips/advice! or if anyone in the area wants to get together and school me a little bit on the subject that would be awesome!
thanks
mike

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reading the surf is key. Just walking out a tossing a bait doesn't get it done. I haven't done a lot of it but I know watching for changes in the shoreline/surf and tides make a huge difference. Search "surf" here on NCAngler and you will find some good advice.

Reactions: memawmerchant

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Reading waves and beach is key.
We couldn't keep the fish off the hook last first week in August for a week last year. We were the only ones catching anything on that stretch of beach all week.

We were fishing holes and the back side of sand bars.
Be versatile. You can catch them at your feet but at times you have to go the long shot.
The long shot is where we able to kill them last year and nobody else was.
Sometimes you just need to be past the breakers, crabs, and the pinfish.

What I do when I go on vacation is always stay right on the ocean. So I can watch it.
Times that I'm taking a break from fishing I'll jump in the car and drive up the beach and park. Most times I can see what I need to see without ever leaving the parking lot. I'm looking for holes and rips. At some point usually at night I'll ease up and fish one of those spots.

You can holes the size of a house and holes the size of a bedroom closet.
One really productive hole last year was a tough one to hit. Current was from left to right. I'd cast about 80-85 yards using a no roll sinker so it would slide on the bottom. Hit it just right and the current would slide you right into this tiny little hole and stop. BAM! fish. As one guy was reeling in and rebaiting, the next guy's bait was sliding into the hole.

I learned by watching people that are catching fish.

And it all depends on what you intend to catch.
Bait, I always go with some finger mullet even if frozen. A slab of cut mullet, some squid, and I'll dig sand fleas. I fish with all of it.
And I'll use some of the Fish Bites strips cut up. I think I have all flavors. Usually have 6 or 7 bags of the stuff on the beach. I've seen times when that was what they were hitting and only a certain color of fish bites. I use it alot to scope out an area.
You need to be versatile in your baits as well instead of banking your success on one bait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.