NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked the wife into making the trip down for spring break. I'm hopeing to have a little better luck at this time of year than the normal summer trip. Will be there on Sat. March 29th until Sat. the 5th. Was wondering what kind of fishing to expect and if anyone has had any luck in the surf or from the pier on Holden. Last year the only thing that was biting was the dog fish.:mad: Hopeing to get something to put on the grill this year:D Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fished every day the entire week with not so much as a nibble. Tried the surf the pier and the intercoastal. Weather was crappy pretty much all week and the water temp never got above 60. Still had a great time and had the beach to our selves for the most part. Couldn't convince the wife to reserve the house for next year but i am working on her. We will be heading back down the thitd weekend in June. We are looking into doing a charter that week. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good one running anywhere close to the Holden area?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fished every day the entire week with not so much as a nibble. Tried the surf the pier and the intercoastal. Weather was crappy pretty much all week and the water temp never got above 60. Still had a great time and had the beach to our selves for the most part. Couldn't convince the wife to reserve the house for next year but i am working on her. We will be heading back down the thitd weekend in June. We are looking into doing a charter that week. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good one running anywhere close to the Holden area?
Try Capt Brant in Ocean Isle Beach. He operates the Ocean Isle Fishing Center with both off shore and inshore services. During this time of year he is still chartering for bluefin offshore most of the time. Wort a call, just south of Holden. 910-575-FISH
(I dont work for them just spend a lot of time on OIB):)

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is at least one charter boat at Holden Beach Marina but I can't remember the name of it. The captain is Buster Gillis and he is great at trolling for spanish. If anybody's catching spanish, Captain Buster will. I'll see if I can round up the name of the boat for you. There is another boat, The Intimidator, docked at Capt'n Petes. I have never fished on the intimidator but I have seen him bring in some pretty nice catches.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I was down at Holden Beach from Michigan that particular week. I caught 1 shark per day from the surf.
Anything beats sitting in the office looking out at snow on the ground.
Snow - ha - we get it once every ten years down here on the coast. Paralyzes everything. In fact just put it in the forecast and everything shuts down. Glad you caught some sharks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was down at Holden Beach from Michigan that particular week. I caught 1 shark per day from the surf.
Anything beats sitting in the office looking out at snow on the ground.
Nothing like your reel releasing line this time of year from the surf. I always keep a rod rigged with a drum rig with large circle hooks just to throw something for the sharks during this time of year. Satisfies the craving until the tasties arrive! Circle hooks keep eveyone/everything happy! As much as I like working and making money, nothing beats being on the beach with the waves breaking at your feet-I'm the dope looking for sharks teeth or fishing when the wind is blowing 15-20 and its 60 degrees!
I am not alone when I say I need to see, smell and be at the waters edge on a daily basis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.