NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched and have been reading a good bit here on the combinations used and what they're setup to fish for. I'm looking for blues and want the capability later to catch bigger fish on the same line. I've never used braid and know Spiderwire and PowerPro are the bees-knees here in this dept., costs more, and don't grab it or you'll loose fingers. Aside from that I'm not sure if there's anything else special to be concerned with using it like knots and other do's and don'ts. I'm planning to put on a 20-30# line on the spool and use a heavier 50# plus mono leader that I think should be roughly 8-10' or so. In terms of mono what brands are good bets and what else should I be considering that I haven't mentioned?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you want to stay Mono I like Suffix Siege or Elite but NOT Superior, Yozuri Hybrid is a fav of mine. But I have gone almost exclusively braid as it lasts for years rather than months and has a thin diameter so you can put a lot of it on a reel.
When you are on a pier, surf or other fixed location you can't chase the fish, so something big can spool you. Line capacity and casting distance are better with braid. Power pro is my braid of choice.

Reactions: j.edwards

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sundrop, you mean opposed to being on a boat? If you have more braid on the same spool, theoretically wouldn't having more distance with braid be an advantage since you have more line to play with, let slack out and let run if needed, etc?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
ON a boat you can pull anchor and chase the fish if needed. and yes braid is always an advantage, but more so when capacity is a necessity like on a pier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah ok I see now. So on my spool it say the line#/distance ratios, I notice the Penn actually has 2 sections one for mono, the other for braid. The lowest for braid says 50#/550yds, 65#/490, 80#/380, so braid will allow me to double my line strength and amount on my spool PLUS gain sensitivity overall? For 2-3x the cost?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Essentially true.

There are tradeoffs... You need to learn new knots. Use the palomar (which always seems like I need a third hand to tie) instead of the improved clinch or fishing knot. Many prefer leaders when using braid, as braid may be more visible to the fish.

Then you NEED scissors or knife to cut the braid. You can't bite it like I do with mono.

Of course, it will cut the crap out of your hands... So if you lift a fish by the line, you'd better wear gloves.

If a big fish grabs it on a pier, you'll likely cut through the mono of other fishermen.

I use it.... It has it's uses.... But I do not love it the way so many do.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
First you need make sure the eyes on the rod can be used with braid. Otherwise the braid will chew them up.
I use 30 pound power pro braid on my surf gear. It's small diameter but not so small that you have to worry about wind knots so much. It took me a long time to make the switch to braid and it's been the best thing I've ever done in the surf.

I use the palomar knot for tying things to the line which I use the palomar on mono as well so nothing changed there.
The FH knot is going to be the best knot for attaching the mono leader to braid. Once you get the hang of it, you won't back up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also noticed spools are only 300yds in store, so I'd have to get my braid at the pier or tackle shop since my reel will do 380-500yds based off 50-80# line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Essentially true.

There are tradeoffs... You need to learn new knots. Use the palomar (which always seems like I need a third hand to tie) instead of the improved clinch or fishing knot. Many prefer leaders when using braid, as braid may be more visible to the fish.

Then you NEED scissors or knife to cut the braid. You can't bite it like I do with mono.

Of course, it will cut the crap out of your hands... So if you lift a fish by the line, you'd better wear gloves.

If a big fish grabs it on a pier, you'll likely cut through the mono of other fishermen.

I use it.... It has it's uses.... But I do not love it the way so many do.
I've never had an issue with a clinch knot and braid. I go twice through the eye rather than once and use 12-15 wraps rather than the 6-8 many do with mono.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For my surf fishing setups I use 17lb mono (suffix Tri). If I need more capacity on a reel I will back with 30lb braid. I use the improved alright knot to join the two together or a double uni depending on my mood.

I used to use straight braid in the surf, but I kept getting broke off, not to mention its much harder to fix the occasional bird nest with braid.

I also like the little bit of give that the mono has in the surf, esp if you are spiking your rod and relaxing. Just a little more forgiveness.

No I don't hate braid, I use it pretty much exclusively everywhere other than the surf.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Pretty sure all guides made today are capable of handling braided line, certainly those on a penn rod would be.
I would agree assuming the rod was made today.
It's an economy rod. Probably aluminum oxide guides. Softer than better guides but will hold up pretty good with braid itself.
Some braids are worse than others. An 8 strand braid would be a better option.

On the capacity. Braid can get expensive. You can always top shot the reel with 300 yards of braid. I would get a tackle shop to do it because most are pretty good about guestimating how much mono they need to lay down.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Bass Pro sells 500yd spools of Power pro $49.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.