NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an itch to fish some artificial bait in the suds. I'm sure the jig heads and baits that I use in the creeks are too small to cast far enough.

What size jig heads are most of you using, and do you upsize your baits ? For example, if you are fishing a jerk shad or curly tail in the surf, what length?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The dreaded answer - it depends...

A lot of the fish you are after are close enough in to reach with the "regular" size and they will take the smaller grubs but 4" with the larger heads will go out a little further and entice some larger fish. So much depends on where you are fishing. If there is a good trough between you and the first bar you don't need to cast far. I have used my regular smallish grubs in the surf with success for grunts and other salty panfish but be forewarned that the pinfish will drive you crazy removing tails/skirts. In the summer you are lucky to have a small grub last a dozen casts even if you have no hookups.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
3 or 4 inch work well and I like as small a leadhead as I can cast- 1/4 ounce rigged in tandem is my choice. I sometimes will tie a 3/8 or even a 1/2 to the top ( short leader ) jig head for casting distance if its windy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not much luck with plastics, but have caught nice ladyfis and bull reds with a 2oz silver spoon rippin it thru the surf at Carolina Beach inlet.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Fishin Technician does the same as me in that he uses as small a jighead as he can get away with. But mostly I'm using soft plastics to flounder fish in the surf (spoons, live bait for other species). For the flatties a Double bucktail rig with a 1 oz. bucktail and 1/8 oz trailer tipped with a Gulp or other grub is deadly. The heavy bucktail kicks along the bottom which I believe attracts attention and the flounder will nail the trailing smaller jig/grub. I have caught almost every species of frequently targeted fish on this rig including trout, blues, Spanish, even Cobia. Available at local tackle shops downeast. Made by Sea Striker, it's an old school rig that still works well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that, will definitely give it a try. Hard to cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Casting a lure will will have more to do with a well-balanced setup than it will with what lure you are using. Don't expect to throw soft plastics very far if your rig is overkill, like i see many surf fishermen attempting to accomplish. A 7' (or longer) medium-light rod paired with a 2500 or 3000 series reel should work perfect. Too large of a rod/reel can really hamper your castability. Braid will help your casting if wind is a factor. Besides, the flounder and reds will hang out not far past the breakers.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I've had success on as little as 1/8th oz jigs in a light surf, and a 1/4 does just fine much of the time. As long as you can stay in contact with your bait you should be good. 3" - 5" baits like MirrorLure Provokers have done a fine job for me as well as Zoom super flukes and fluke magnums. I've had some really fun days with bubblegum color super flukes, but when the blues are in or the surf is rough it's hard to beat a hopkins or big kastmaster.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What size jig heads are most of you using, and do you upsize your baits ? For example, if you are fishing a jerk shad or curly tail in the surf, what length?
Generally speaking, 4" curly/paddletails/shrimp imitations, and 4 or 5" jerk shads. Don't overthink it. A hungry redfish will hit any of those size lures quite readily.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Novice surf fisherman here, but I second the double bucktail mentioned by h2ohhh. He gave me the same tip a few years ago and I've had luck with it, just the way he mentioned. Casts like a dream so long as the two bucktails don't get twisted.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Everything mentioned here will work. ****** hit the nail on the head...don't over think it. Reading the surf and knowing what species are there at the particular time of year is more important than the lure you are using. Fish that Bucktail or jig faster and you will catch a blue or Spanish. Slower for a flounder. Find the sloughs, the sand bar edges, the drop offs and you're in business!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts