NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am rushing the season but my wife has the weekend off and we are heading to Topsail in the morning. I will post how we do. I plan on surfishing Topsail beach tomorrow. My expetations are low but finally it is March Leap year sucks it should have been March today not tomorrow. February is draging on way too long.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hope ya find a nice stray red looking for a tasty mullet!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going the next weekend. Please describe soaking drum bait? How do you put it on the hook and what about the shrimp , live or dead? Maybe I need to give up an play with that silly white ball. NO WAY !!!! What am I thinking!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
This time of year, and to keep it simple, buy the freshest NC shrimp you can find.(ask if it is local or foreign, the foreign stuff doesnt work well.) Thread it on the hook following the curve like you would a worm. One nice piece should cut in half and do 2 hooks. Also buy some mullet and cut it cross ways into chunks about 1/2-3/4 inch and hook it through the back so the hook pierces both sides of skin. "soaking drum bait just means fishing it on the bottom" (cast it out and let it "soak")
Basic 2 hook bottom rig is fine for most. Might size up the hooks for Reds. Be sure to get the proper coastal size regulations and a saltwatwer license if you dont have them already!!( no coastal license needed if you pierfish and the pier has a "blanket license")

Reactions: jigghead1

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 drop.........never forget the license, good advise. I just take it for granted everyone has them, but you never know, especially ones coming in from out of town:cool:

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a great day Saturday weather wise, fished Topsail Beach both sides of the Roger. Not one single bite was had, but it was nice just being at the beach on a nice day. I am still 0-2008. Not sure if I am heading to Oak Island next week or not the early forecast is not calling for that good of a weekend but I am keeping my options open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.