NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, so many people this Saturday made for less fishing than expected. My fault for bad planning.

Anyway, I was jonesing for some surf fishing but couldn't get away until this past weekend. Looked up the weather and tide forecast and thought high tides at around 8AM was going to be good for the morning aggressive bites at the Wrightsville south jetty. Especially for me since I don't really have much experience at all.

Got there just after 6AM and there were surfers hitting the waves already. Wow.

I threw 1oz kastmaster spoon, 3/4oz minnow metal, and mirrolure. Saw blues jumping and bait schooling as I walked and cast 100 yards either side of the jetty to about 8:30. Had a couple of hits, a hook up with a blowfish and that was it.

Would love to know how to do better next time.

So, by that time, people were starting to show up in droves. Decided to find a beach somewhere less crowded but wasn't successful. Thought maybe North Topsail would be a good option.

Wrong. But did find a beach with space enough to soak bait (fishbites tipped with shrimp) for a couple hours. Unfortunately, tide was going out and the section I had was not great. Did picked up a small pompano and a spot before beach goers started to take over.

I kicked myself for not better planning but took a break from fishing and checked out the inlet at the north end. Wow, it was packed..... Obviously.

Gave up. Found a shaded spot in the sand and took a nap waiting for the sunset bite.

Got a few little ones with the shrimp and fishbites as the sun went down. Tried casting with the spoon too, but no takers. Packed it up around 8:30PM for the 2.5 hr drive home.

Would love to know how to do better next time. Any and all suggestions or recommendations welcome.

White Product Textile Jaw Organism

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot the most important element 'keep moving until you find them'. Or stay mobile ( my new original oxymoron ).
Either with long fan cast while looking for them in the curl of the waves. We spread out & cover miles of shore line, until we hook up...... ICM
Thanks for the tips. Watching videos like that is exciting and helpful. I've not graduated to using live bait so will look up the lures recommended. Will also note the weather and water conditions.

Casting into the vast ocean from shore is intimidating. So it's a thrill whenever a hook up happens. My goal is to trick a slot red or two one of these days. So keep on learning until that happens.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, two more "experiences" this past couple of sunrises at Sunset Beach. Unsuccessful both times throwing spoons. Low tides with E to NE winds. First morning at Tubbs and second toward Pier. Saw some spectacular bait chasing something or rather (not dolphins) big fish jumping and twisting full out of surf. King mackerel? But was too far out to cast to.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great advice from ICM as usual. We haven't had our first "mullet blow" yet this year. Once that happens, actually about the second or third mullet blow, the baitfish will pour out of the inlets, and it's on, for redfish anyways. Usually by early October.
Yeah, going to shift my fall mountain trout fishing to the surf to see if I can get into some.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How big? Could be kings or spinner sharks. Late Aug / early Sep surf fishing isn't usually all that great except occasionally you'll get into some Spanish or small blues that come in close early in the morning. Good time for pompano also before the water cools, but I've never quite cracked the code on those guys. Too bad because they are fun to catch and very good eating.
Ya, could have been shark.

You're right about small blues. I was at mouth of Tubbs again this past Sunday at beginning of receding tides. Actually saw puppy drums and whiting underfoot as I was wading and casting. Fooled a small blue on a minnow spoon but that was it. Talked to a guy throwing shrimp who also pulled in a small blue.

I'm hoping to be back soon to get more experience, and would love to bring home a pompano for the table. I've seen successful hi-lo rig with small float and beed at each hook along with shrimp, fishbites, and sand fleas.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keeper flounder would definitely be on the list.

I just looked up regulations. We have the month of September to keep one 15" flounder/person/day. Crossing my fingers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts