NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I am new to this website, and looking for some information on surf fishing...like what are the best beaches for it, etc.
We're planning to take my dad to the NC Coast for his 60th birthday at the end of October. Just wondering where the best place for fishing would be - i.e. Salter Path, Topsail, Atlantic beach?? We'd like to stay ocean front and take our dogs. Any information would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Debbie, without knowing much about what kind of tackle you would be using and what fish you would most like to catch it is tough to say what your best bet would be. My instincts make me want to say Emerald Island or Topsail Island would be good choices. That still leaves a lot of territory to cover. Normally for someone with time and the right equipment which would include four wheel drive I would suggest Hatteras or Ocracoke but that is a BIG IF. IF a person was REALLY set up for surf fishing Davis Island has cabins that can be rented and that would be a true expierence to remember. Of course you must carry everything you need across on a ferry. The cabins may be already reserved. IF you could let us know what species you would like to catch it would be a little easier to really narrow things down. I would say, weather permitting, the fishing should be good for something about anywhere on the coast in late Oct. ALso I will try and put together an overall picture of what is going on now and post it under a new thread. It should be posted tommorow. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Well I said that I would let you know whats going on in a new thread but the weather has the water so stirred up that it is pretty much the same every where. Spot are biting on and off usually a bite will last a few hours.most are still 1/2 lbs and smaller. Medium sized sea mullets and bluefish are making up the bulk of the catch with a few puppy drum and pompano. Occasionally someone will come up with a flounder or trout or spanish but the water needs to clear order to catch many. Right now I would say Topsail inlet area would be a good place judging from the weather and hampsteadfishing's post. You should have a good chance for puppy drum there.The only problem is the required sticker costs $50. to drive on the beach and it is a long carry to the inlet. Also the driving there is a little iffy beause at high tide the water is all the way up to the dunes. I couldn't find a recent report on Bouge Inlet at the south end of Emerald Island or at FT. Fisher which is normally a good surf fishing spot. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Cheryl, if you are having trouble accessing the drumwagon home page as I did here is the phone #'s for the cabin rental Toll free# (877) 956- 6568 local (252) 729-2791. I'm sorry for the delay. You can also access the drum wagon site thru the DIFF club page. http://diffclub.com/portal Once you pull up the diff club site look down and to the left for links and click on drumwagon base. For some reason I could not access the DW site normally. AL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sinker man...Thanks so much for the info on surf fishing. I really have no idea what kind of tackle my dad would be using. He's actually elk hunting in CO right now - & won't be back until we are ready to head to the beach. In any case, I really was curious about the beaches and had heard that in topsail the tide comes up to the dunes, like you mentioned. What about Emerald Isle - is there more beach up that way? We're taking our 3 labs...so it would be nice if they could run on the beach while we fish.
Thanks again,
Debbie

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sorry I have been VERY busy lately. The beaches at either island have undergone a lot of erosion but the spot on topsail I was refering to is on the south end . The inlet there is a real good spot for puppy drum and bluefish but it is a long hike if you are carrying a load of gear and the surf comes up to the dunes on part of the beach between the last access pt and the inlet. This spot makes it impassable only at high tide. The drum bite is generally best on the last 2 hrs of the falling tide and the first two hrs. of the incoming tide. Really the problem in my opinion is that the 50 dollars to drive down there is a lot of money for the privilege of driving on a short stretch of beach for a few days. Surf fishing is still good on either island. Fort Fisher is another good spot. AL

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Sorry if this is too late -- but even if it is, maybe another reader will appreciate...

According to SinkerMan's "IF's" -- if you decide to shoot for Hatteras, the surf-fishing crowd from my church recommends the Cape Hatteras Motel in Buxton and Red Drum Tackle Shop. The motel's got apartments on both the ocean and sound sides -- if the fish are hitting "behind the motels", you're right there. A 4x4 will take you to "the point" or any of a number of ramps -- the folks at Red Drum can tell you either in person or on the web what's been hitting lately.

The surf on the ocean side at Hatteras does tend to be a bit more lively than elsewhere on the coast, so if you don't have fairly heavy rods, you might wind up on the sound side or someplace more passive. I was up there the weekend of Oct 15 and we had 8-oz weights washing right back up at us. That's a bit extreme, but it illustrates the point.

Two weeks earlier I had quite a pleasant morning at Salter Path, about 12 miles north of Emerald Isle. I landed four fish, don't know what they were except for a pompano that was bigger than my hand span in both dimensions. There are quite a few beach accesses along that island that are accessible without a 4x4. Several of the tackle shops sell a little aluminum wagon you can wheel across the sand. A buddy of mine recommends staying close to the pier in Emerald Isle.

Hope it helps someone
Lefty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.