NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question:

could anyone one give me some tips on surf fishing? I have tried a couple times but my bait always ends up missing. Like what kid of rig to use, what kind of bait, what kind of indicators of a good spot to fish, and any other tips you could think of. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The pinfish are in very thick right now and everyone is having a hard time keeping baits on their line. They were like Piranha's weekend before last. I did manage 18-20 mullet and spot mixed in as well. use the freshest shrimp that you can find and keep it iced as you fish. Also- dig up some sand fleas and use those. Try and only use the ones with the orange eggs underneath as that is what the fish want. If they nibble on it and the eggs are gone- re- bait. I did catch 2 very nice sized mullet with those. To find a slough- look for waves breaking offshore ( 150 yards ) and then calm water and then the waves reform and crash up on the beach. The calm water indicates a depth change ( slough ) which is a great place to start. Also- you don't have to be Superman and cast 100 yards every cast. Alot of fish are very close in to the beach feeding on those sand fleas. Don't be afraid to cast 30-40 feet from the beach- just beyond where the waves crash. Hope this helps !

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
What do you want to catch? Will help in determining what rigs. ...... ICM

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got something for a pin fish.
Remove from a #4 hook and impale on a 14/0 hook.

I was surf fishing at fort fisher a couple weeks ago and was catching nothing but pinfish and small blues. Hooked the pinfish through the lip and chunked it out as far as could. A few minutes later my drag was SCREAMING and peeling off line very fast. Unfortunately all I had was 30lb leader and while trying to get some line back it cut the leader. Im guessing it was a decent sized shark but who knows.

Moral of the story, something eats pinfish

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you want to catch? Will help in determining what rigs. ...... ICM
Ice cream man, looking I catch reds ultimately, but I kinda just want to have the most success out there without catching trash fish. (Easier said then done... I know. Especially as a newb...)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pinfish are in very thick right now and everyone is having a hard time keeping baits on their line. They were like Piranha's weekend before last. I did manage 18-20 mullet and spot mixed in as well. use the freshest shrimp that you can find and keep it iced as you fish. Also- dig up some sand fleas and use those. Try and only use the ones with the orange eggs underneath as that is what the fish want. If they nibble on it and the eggs are gone- re- bait. I did catch 2 very nice sized mullet with those. To find a slough- look for waves breaking offshore ( 150 yards ) and then calm water and then the waves reform and crash up on the beach. The calm water indicates a depth change ( slough ) which is a great place to start. Also- you don't have to be Superman and cast 100 yards every cast. Alot of fish are very close in to the beach feeding on those sand fleas. Don't be afraid to cast 30-40 feet from the beach- just beyond where the waves crash. Hope this helps !
Thanks fishin technician! Going to make all this come into play hopefully tomorrow and Saturday. Gonna try to he some sand fleas and fin a slough! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I was surf fishing at fort fisher a couple weeks ago and was catching nothing but pinfish and small blues. Hooked the pinfish through the lip and chunked it out as far as could. A few minutes later my drag was SCREAMING and peeling off line very fast. Unfortunately all I had was 30lb leader and while trying to get some line back it cut the leader. Im guessing it was a decent sized shark but who knows.

Moral of the story, something eats pinfish
Sharks love Fort Fisher for some reason. I think it's because it's not like a lot of beaches that drop off rather slow. Fort Fisher drops off pretty quick. If you fish there much you stand a good chance at any number of sizable species. Sharks, rays, old drum, large flounder, even tarpon from the surf. I've had my share of dry runs there but I've also experienced there what I've never experienced on any other NC beach.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharks love Fort Fisher for some reason. I think it's because it's not like a lot of beaches that drop off rather slow. Fort Fisher drops off pretty quick. If you fish there much you stand a good chance at any number of sizable species. Sharks, rays, old drum, large flounder, even tarpon from the surf. I've had my share of dry runs there but I've also experienced there what I've never experienced on any other NC beach.
Nice, thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try there. Is there a general rig and bait that you would recommend that I use?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Fish finder rig is a good starting point. 8/0 hooks on up.
As you progress and if you stick with it , you'll want to start buying rigging materials and crimpers to make your own. It's cheaper in the long run and you can deviate from a standard store bought rig to allow for conditions. For example, I keep getting short hit, I'll make a leader with a stinger hook .

If you get into making your own you'll want to avoid buying things like swivels and beads at tackle stores. You can often buy 100 beads cheaper than you can buy a dozen at a tackle store.
I buy a lot of rigging supplies from SRMO. Shark River Mail Order. And I buy my pulley rigging materials out of the UK. In fact I just got an order in from them today. 9 days from from Suffolk England to here.

Pulley rigging is the bomb in some situations. Plenty of You tube videos on pulley rigging.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don't Underestimate the Pinfish. Great Bait.

Reactions: Dillard

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Pinfish is my go to bait when I cant net anything.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Fish finder rig" using circle hooks from 2.0 to 5.0. Good for cut or live bait.
With a "fish finder" rig you can switch out sinker weights depending on conditions, without retying.
Sinkers: look for "frog tongue" , 4 sides pyramid ( not 3 sided ) or Hatteras style storm sinker. From 3oz. to 8 oz.
Avoid bank sinkers, less holding power.
You will need to add a "shock Leader" for casting of maybe 15 to 20 feet of 40# to 50# mono leader.
"Shock leaders" prevent line breaking when loading up the rod for a cast.

This is what I would use for Bull Reds, Sharks, Stripers & Tarpon in the surf.
Use a scaled down or lighter version for normal smaller Reds, Blues, Flounder.
You can replace crimps with uni or fisherman's knots.

Hope this helps. ...... ICM

http://www.hatterasjack.com/terminalrigs.htm
check out Hatteras Jack's

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome. Thanks ICM. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was at Oak Island last week and the only luck I had was a small ray. Caught with cut mullet on a fireball rig. I saw a guy down the beach catch a large (to me, anyway) ray the next day... not sure what he was fishing. I only surf fish once a year, so this is more of a mini report rather than advice :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was at Oak Island last week and the only luck I had was a small ray. Caught with cut mullet on a fireball rig. I saw a guy down the beach catch a large (to me, anyway) ray the next day... not sure what he was fishing. I only surf fish once a year, so this is more of a mini report rather than advice :D
haha. At least you caught something tho! I went out to emerald with the wife and only surf fished for an hour or so. Didn't have the right bait and kinda gave up after a minute.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hand tie or buy two hook bottom rigs. The less hardware the better (I think) except red beads (see sand flea egg comment earlier). Shrimp and sand fleas are hard to beat this time of year. Experiment with sand flea size but I find the bigger ones are pretty darn good. Pompano, Whiting, Black drum, Puppy drum, Spot are all a real possibility. Carolina Rig a mullet or "strip bait" and work it like a worm for flounder, drum, blues, etc.

Ditto on the sloughs. Also look for breaks in the sand bars. Pompano run the bars and right at your feet. Don't always be lured to plopping that bait in the middle of the hole. Work "the edges" just like fishing a lake inland. Flounder will lay in any ditch including the one that often times runs perpendicular to the shore. I have heard that flounder lay facing the current so take that into account too.

Go get em!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hand tie or buy two hook bottom rigs. The less hardware the better (I think) except red beads (see sand flea egg comment earlier). Shrimp and sand fleas are hard to beat this time of year. Experiment with sand flea size but I find the bigger ones are pretty darn good. Pompano, Whiting, Black drum, Puppy drum, Spot are all a real possibility. Carolina Rig a mullet or "strip bait" and work it like a worm for flounder, drum, blues, etc.

Ditto on the sloughs. Also look for breaks in the sand bars. Pompano run the bars and right at your feet. Don't always be lured to plopping that bait in the middle of the hole. Work "the edges" just like fishing a lake inland. Flounder will lay in any ditch including the one that often times runs perpendicular to the shore. I have heard that flounder lay facing the current so take that into account too.

Go get em!
awesome! Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try some sand fleas. Do you know if they sell em at bait shops, like chasin tails or should I get a rake and try to get em myself? Figure it'd be easier to buy em. Now I hate to sound like a newb but when you say working strip bait like a worm, do you mean like a rubber worm like bass fishing or...?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Once you know what you are looking at you can catch enough sand fleas to last days of fishing in one scoop.
As the water recedes look for small spots of riffles. We've all seen what I'm talking about and a lot of people probably mistake as shells or bits of shells causing the riffles as water runs over them. It's actually a bunch of sand fleas digging in.

Run to it and jam your hands down in the sand and start scooping.
Swampin borrowed a stainless steel sand flea rake I made a few weeks ago. He said one scoop and he had atleast a 100 sand fleas.

I wouldn't be caught dead buying sand fleas.

Something else that is a good bait and easy for kids to use is Fish Bites. They come in shrimp, crab, blood worm, etc.
Cut about a 1" piece and put it on a hook like you would an earth worm. It has some netting material inside it to help hold it on the hook. The bait slowly dissolves in the water. I get bites every time I use it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts