NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a couple of nice (long) rods with heavy reels to go surf fishing this summer. We've rented a house on the beach on St. George's Island, off the Florida panhandle out in the Gulf. Before we go down there I'm thinking about heading over towards Myrtle Beach to test out the gear, but am a complete and total surf fishing virgin. I mean, it is definitely different than fishing the way I'm used to, which is mainly crankbaits and lures off a decent mid-weight rod/reel combo, but I don't have a clue as to the what's and hows.

Even the most basic questions about rigging such as what kind of line should I spool on these reels? What kinds of rigs should I look for to tie to the end? Whats a good suggestion for tieing on, or should I go with a big swivel hook? I've read plenty through the forums on asking questions locally to find out what baits are working, but am also interested in - do you catch anything in the surf on lures?? I'm always into adding to my collection but have NOTHING salt water at all, except these two nice rod/reel combos.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I want to get as much gear as possible set up to test on the SC coast, prior to going to St. George's Island.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Couple of questions first, what size rods do you have? What are you wanting to go after? The species and tactics will vary from SC to Fl but I think you are smart to try it out and get some experience before you go to FL(which I think will be better fishing). Personally I think you should try to pick a few species and/or type(like bottom dwellers/ panfish /sharks / ect) and go from there. I am a big panfish and shark fan personally.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to pull them out as I bought a traveling case for them also, one is 10' and the other 11' in length, heavy duty surf rods with very nice reels. They're hanging up in the garage so will have to pull them down and take them out of the fancy case I bought (nice one on wheels that holds about a half dozen large rods).

As to species, I've got to get online and figure out what's biting down there first, but I'm with you, a pan fish and shark fan. To tell you the truth, I like to catch anything!!! lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sea Striker (a NC company) makes some really go rigs, and are available at Dicks. A standard High low rig and 2 to 1/0 hooks tiped with shrimp and weighed down with a two oz sinker, will catch most basic panfish species in the surf. This is where I started. You can also try sand fleas which most bottom feeders really like they just take some more work to get(you have to get them yourself). If you are fishing in the ICW or creeks, and also the surf you can use live caught mullet hooked through the lips for flounder and other bottom species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.