NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a catfish rod that is spooled with 30lb test line. Is this good enough for pier/surf fishing or should I rent one when I go to the pier in October. The wife deserves a vacation during our bye week and we're going to wilmington area. Hoping to catch some pier time while her and her sister go shopping (her sis lives at oak island).

I know I'll have to thoroughly clean and oil the reel when done.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Coach that is more than enough. Also use your other rods if you have 8lb or more line to cast lures, fish the surf breakers for flounder/pompano, jig the pilings for trout etc... Biggest thing is, if you catch something big shout out for some help and someone usually has a pier net they can help retrieve the fish with if you think you'll break the line. Always try to handline a larger fish up if you dont net to keep from "bouncing" the fish as much and breaking off and also to reduce stress on the reel and pulling the line tight into the spool. Also, make sure you thoroughly RINSE with fresh water anything you use in the salty conditions. I generally use 10-14lb on my smaller rods and 20-30 on the big ones. Most pier tackle shops can re-spool for you also if you decide you need to step up on size after you arrive. I actually do most of my Spot catching on 2 old Zebco 33 reels on MH rods w/14lb test. I hose them off and toss them back for next trip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like Sundrop said the tackle you are talking about is more then enough. I fish off of Sea View pier (will be there this weekend if anybody is headed that way) for anything that is biting and I use Penn Captiva's spooled with 10lb Berkley Big Game. I have one 6.5ft rod and a 7ft rod. Now, a 3oz weight is the max I use and it will hold bottom in most conditions. Also with these setups I can plug and not get worn out. If you look at WalMart they carry a Shakeshpere combo (7ft rod) that is around $35. I bought one a couple of years ago for a tag along rod it has served me well. Good luck.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sgtfish I have 2 of those old combos I've had 10yrs or more and they have landed everything from Spots to Chopper blues/sharks with no problems.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so my ugly stick combo I fish with at all times will be something I can take along with me and my daiwa with 14lb test on it. Thanks a lot. Still got 2 more weeks before I go but I'm planning ahead.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"But honey I was told that I have to buy this type of rod and reel." Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
But this should not be overlooked as an opportunity to buy more gear:)

And you need to get a new rod to replace the one that "got away" last time right? Might wanna look into getting yourself some duct tape, rope and a few bungee cords...just to make sure you don't loose another one. :D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Coach, the equipment you have is entirely inadequate for the species of fish and the environment in which you intend to use it. You must at MINIMUM have a Shimano Stradic and matching 7-8ft med action rod or equivalent. Anything used in salt water MUST be corrosion resistant and have high line capacity for 20-40lb test and be spooled with a high quality line. You must also purchase GOTCHA plugs in all of the various colors as well as Hopkins spoons or equivalent in same.. The large array of needed rigs and various tackle will require a new tackle box and the size and quantity of your catch will require a new 96qt cooler.

OK, copy this minus this line and show it to your wife when you get HOME from the Monkeys lair...... DO NOT show her this letter before you go because it is easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission!!! :eek: LOL!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
And you need to get a new rod to replace the one that "got away" last time right? Might wanna look into getting yourself some duct tape, rope and a few bungee cords...just to make sure you don't loose another one. :D

Yeah but you should have seen the size of the whale that took the rod over. Thar she blows...hey thats my rod.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Coach, Save up your pennies and nickels. That tackle monkey sure is persistent when he starts "working on ya." In the mean time you'll be a little over gunned.... which isn't a bad way to start out. I've always used 10 lb unless I was gunning for sheephead or Kings/cobia. (20 lb for them and sometimes 30lb if tarpon are around.)

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I like 14-20lb line so when I screw up and hook the pier I can get a good pull and straighten out a wire hook and save my rig!! LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.