NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through my coastal gear and find I am not as bad off as I thought. I have 3 inshore spinning setups and a pair of reels to use on the live bait poles. Well.... A big rod and the new setup is for me. So tht could be a little costly.

I need.....

A long rod for a Shimano Socorro 8000
This will be a spare/pole for my son or a friend. I am looking at an 11' Ugly Stick. It will take the abuse of anyone.

A long rod for a ABU 6501
This is a little more interesting as this will be my pole. I know I will be using it so I am willing to spend a little more. The St Croix Mojo Surf 10'6" MH.
Any other suggestions??

An inshore rod and reel setup. This will be a round reel of some kind and will be used in my kayak also. I am thinking of something under 7'. Length is nice but I think 6'6 will be fine. I will use it as my jigging rod.
So I am thinking a salt water baitcasting like the Curado. I can see how the low profile would make it more comfortable for casting a jig type bait. You need to bring a couple hundred just to get in at the low end of these. And I would like left hand crank. My initial look shows the Daiwa Lexa 300 Inshore. I am sure there are others. Any suggestions on these?

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Ocean Master rods from Bass Pro. Built like a tank, but they do require a good bit of muscle to load up. IMHO, I'd look that direction for your Socorro, the big Ugly Sticks tend to cast like wet noodles.

I've never tried the CCP rods, but everything I've seen written or said about them has been positive. I really liked Wheels Reels when they were still turning out rods. Secondary market might be an option for them now, though. Can't afford to get to the beach regularly anymore, so I haven't been keeping up with surf equipment as much. Don't know what they're going for used now.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to get by GM at lunch today. I wanted to fondle some reels. Out of all the reels I have to say I was not impressed with Diawa Lexa, Quantums, Pflueger. I did like the Lews and the upper Shimanos. I thought they were better when you hit the Curado.

Thoughts on the Lews BB1 vs Curado?

I also had to fiddle with the rods. The uglystick is a noodle. As were a couple others. I did like the glow in the dark rod. But it was a noodle too. The PENN Battalion and the St Croix Mojo were similar in action but way different in price.

I need to go to BP and see what they have for rods. More fondling to do.....

mike

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Don't think the Lews will hold up to the salt. I've fished a Curado 300 for years. Strong, durable, good performance. It doesn't cast as well as a Abu Revo or Daiwa Coastal, but those reels are also a lot more $. I think you'll be pretty happy with the Curado. Take a look at the Shimano Terramar series for a rod. Excellent rods that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got a 17 yr old Kingfisher by Abu Garcia that I love
Grant the fact that I am still low on the experience level but it handles well and casting with a Daiwa from about that time frame has never given me a lick of grief

In a couple weeks I will be trying it with a Penn Fierce reel that supposedly handles about 360 ft (only found 300 ft) of 65 pound test SpiderWire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.