NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yaaaaa..... I'm still looking at heavers.

Right now I'm still liking the Tica Dolphin for the spinning heaver. 11' Fast XH 6-12oz. It's well liked and pretty reasonable as these long rods go at $185. This has Cork tape handle, Fuji DPS reel seat and 7 Fuji Hardoly guides for both the Spin and cast versions. 7 is ok for the spinning. I would like more for the casting.

I put my hands on a Penn Battalion and it's seemed ok in the hands. There is a pair of 12' rods. Med and Fast. Med is 4-10 and Fast is 6-12oz. These come in at about $139. This has heat shrink handle, Fuji reel seat and 9 Fuji Aluminum Oxide guides.

Anyone have a thought on the Penn??

Also, Where would I need to go to put my hands on some more rods. I been to BP and Gander. I'm talking about a surf fishing shop. I really don't want to drive to Hatteras. Maybe Morehead City? Wilmington?

Mike

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
my favorite Is a Pinnacle heaver designed by World Champion Zander Brody. I cant recall the specs right now but I can dig it out of the tube and let you know.. I pair it with a Calcutta 700 .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, Where would I need to go to put my hands on some more rods. I been to BP and Gander. I'm talking about a surf fishing shop. I really don't want to drive to Hatteras. Maybe Morehead City? Wilmington?
I had the same problem when I first started getting into surf fishing. Living in the triangle, there just isn't a lot of selection. I found that EZ Bait and Tackle in Greensboro is a great tackle shop, with a huge selection of sizes and major brands, including a lot that BP doesn't carry. I've got my first and second rods from there. A little further down the road is Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Good recs from Blue82. East Coast Sports in Surf City has a decent selection of surf rods, and you might want to call Tex's in Wilmington. They've got a big selection of Star Rods. The Star Stellar is a good rod at a reasonable price. You can spend a small fortune on a surf heaver, but you don't need to. You might want to check some of the Hatteras websites forums for a used heaver. With the access restrictions and the big blues & stripers AWOL for the last 10 years a lot of guys are getting out of the game & unloading gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.