NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Baaaaaaaaack.

I need a spinning reel to put on the 9' Tica Dolphin I plan to acquire. I saw that Tica has reels also. So why not look at their spinning reels. Has anyone played with any? What might you think about the Samira SBAT Long Cast?? The 800 will hold plenty of 30lb braid.

If you think this is junk. I have $150 left in my budget for a reel for it. Which is more than the rod. hahahahah.

mike

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I have a Shimano Baitrunner that's at least 20 years old. I've taken some big reds in the surf with it and it's still as smooth as butter. Great reel. Another nice Shimano product is the Shimano Symetre. It's a great reel approved for saltwater inshore use and they run about $100 new. While I do own one and love it (the smoothest reel I've ever owned) I don't have the years of experience with it like I do the Baitrunner. The Stratic is a great reel too but you will have to buy a used one in your price range.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I read the Stradic is great. I just can't plunk $240 down 2 times. Looks like EB has a vendor with 25% off on a bunch of reels. Including the Stradic 6000 FJ for $179 W/ free shipping. For $30 each I can get the highly recommended Stradic. Ha, and a $5 discount for buying 2 is available.

mike

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually this will be for our plug rods. 9' MH Dolphins.

I was looking at the stradic spool. It seems short and deep. I was under the impression I would want something with a taller and shallower spool. Like an Aero Spool. For surf casting for distance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it's over my budget but does anyone have any input on the Shimano Ultegra? It's suppose to be a long caster. And what about the Diawa Emblem? Thoughts??

mike

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I recommended a baitrunner as I thought this was for soaking baits. If you plan to toss lures all day think about weight also.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahhhhh, Nope, I have an ABU 6501 to put on my 8 & bait pole. And a Shimano Socorro 8000 for the other. I can't say where this one came from. I believe my son bought it. It will get used this year and I will be planning to put a bait runner on it for next year. The question pertains to reels for the 9' casting rod.

That's why I questioned earlier about the short deep spool of the mentioned reels.

So, any thoughts on the long cast spool reels? I like the way the line lays on the ultegra. The spool moves up and down slowly and lays the line more around the spool than up and down the spool. it's suppose to help with wind knots.

Also, I talked to my son this evening and it appears I missed a reel. So all three of his rods will be set with reels for this trip. His casting rod will get a Penn Sargus 5000. I know for sure he purchased that.

So I just need one spinning reel for my 9'. And now that I do not have to get two casting reels I am leaning towards the Shimano Ultegra 5500. Surprisingly both the reel and all the rods are available on Amazon Prime. Can you say Schweet???? I can.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
zactly what I would suggest...I have a 3500,4500 and a 6500.....they also double duty as cat fish outfits on shorter rods. the 6500 on a 7 " tiger rod is a really good cat outfit for 10-50 lb fish... the 3500 can DD as a light cat or carp outfit and the 4500 falls in the middle. I used to take the 6500 a lot when my son was young and he could not cast one of my baitcasters. still use it occasionally for salt on longer rods

Water Green Lake Fishing reel Fishing rod

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, I agree. I like the bait runner. My son will be getting one for xmas for his Drum rod.

Do you think the bait runner would be good for our plugging rods?

I was more thinking of a reel with a long cast spool. Like a Shimano Altegra, Diawa Emblem, Tica Abyss or Samira. I like the Tica but parts or service will be tough.

There are others out there. Some cool stuff in the foreign market. I have not been on the road in months. Now I hope I go where I can fondle and maybe purchase a couple of reels.

mike

mike

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
As part of this I am going to have to load a number of reels. Anyone have a cheap source for a big spool of PowerPro??

mike
SRMO has good prices on Power Pro. Better than any store you'll walk in unless they are having a sale. 30 pound 300 yards is 22 dollars. 500 yards 35.00. I use super slick. 300 yards is under 30 bucks. Most tackle stores are in the 35 dollar range on the same spool.
2-3 days shipping from Jersey.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.