NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody throw (metal lures) from the surf when you are fishing for reds, blues etc. from the beach? I have been using Hopkins but without wearing my arm out there isn't a whole lot of built in action to the lure. Also, does spoon color matter depending on species? Do reds prefer gold over silver? Bluefish? Pictures would help me a lot. trying to get stocked up for fall which is right around the corner. Thanks.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I like a Krokodile. More action but recognize that means more line twist. Swivel recommended. I throw a Hopkins style spoon too though...except I buy the knock off versions from Bass Pro. 1 oz. is my preferred size. In the surf I also suggest a 20 pound short (4-6") wire leader. It's thin enough not to spook fish in the sudsy stuff...even notoriously leady shy Spanish. If you forgo the leader be prepared to lose some expensive spoons on cut offs.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I "chuck and wind" in the surf quite a bit, mostly catching smallish blues so grain o' salt applies, but I think speed is more important than wobble. This year I finally got into Spanish and it definitely seemed true with them that if I wasn't cranking fast I did not get a strike. That said, I have used some big generic shoe horn shaped spoons with some success. They do twist the line but they look good doing it.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
What does everybody throw (metal lures) from the surf when you are fishing for reds, blues etc. from the beach? What size Reds & Blues?

I have been using Hopkins but without wearing my arm out there isn't a whole lot of built in action to the lure.
There are severals ways to work them, a slow retrieve ( rolls it ), hop it up & let it flutter down, or just rip it.

Also, does spoon color matter depending on species? Sometimes, mostly it's the action. Do reds prefer gold over silver? Bluefish? Reds prefer gold, Blues silver, there are always exceptions.

Pictures would help me a lot. trying to get stocked up for fall which is right around the corner. Thanks.
Spoons I throw: Hopkins, Kastmasters, Johnson, Shure & Aqua Dream.
Sizes will vary from 1/2 oz. ( local waters ) to 6 oz. ( Hatteras Bull Reds, Stripers & big Blues )
Will try posting pictures. ...... ICM

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
41 Posts
I exclusively use the glass minnow lures from shore lure company for blues and spanish (normally 2 oz). I've not found anything that casts as well. Most popular in OBX but Freeman's on the AB causeway sells them.

Despite many attempts and much time on the beach from EI to Buxton, I've never caught a drum in the surf with a spoon nor seen 1 caught that way, although I hear plenty of folks have success with gold spoons, fished slowly to imitate a small crab or other bottom dwelling critter. I've never seen a descriptive write-up here on how best to fish drum w/ spoons - particularly retrieve speed and action. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.