NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopkins, gotcha, mirrolure, bucktail etc.......I have all those and when they don't work, they dont work. But you can just tell, I am a novice plain and simple. I will start another thread asking how to fish these in the surf in a moment.

In October, we will be on the outer banks, and of course we will have cut bait out there.

Is there any point to trying some BASS crank baits or TOPWATER when the blues, possibly stripers or reds are out there? We will also have light tackle too and will be wading out in the surf.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Surf: The Saltwater Lures

In late October, we will be fishing some medium tackle out there as well......

Any choices on what to fish, and what NOT to fish, in the surf?

Gotcha,
Hopkins,
bucktail,
etc

also, some tips on how to use each in the surf would be really, really cool too.

Thanks~!

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
I only use one..... Gold 1oz Kastmaster, cast out reel in the simplest and most effective lure for me, blues, Spanish if they are still around, flounder drum and trout. Now others are gonna say that time of the year, Mirrolures and that's another ballgame. And then cut bait on my surf rod.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
never drag, medium speed through the water till you get close to shore then slow down for flounder and drum...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bring a heaver (12' rod) with a conventional reel with 20lb mono, and a fishfinder rig with a circle hook, use cutbait (mullet, spot, croaker). I wouldn't care about catching anything else than a old drum so that's what I would be using. I don't know much about stripers and blues down there but I think the last chopper and striper blitz down there was a while ago, it's not as good as it used to be for those fish is what I've heard. October is PRIME time for old drum down there. I would fish near the point at hatteras. I'd leave the bass and light tackle at home.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd say BigE and ICM nailed the lid shut on this one!! Go catch em up!!

Reactions: ChltBnks and RouseD

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Narrow down your wish list for what you want to target.
Bull Reds, you will have to have different tackle & lures than you would for Trout.
Example; 4oz. Kastmaster will work on Stripers, Blues & Bull Reds but not Trout.
MirrOlures won't cast well on a big 12' surf rod, but you can catch all species of fish with them. .... ICM

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 9 of 9 Posts