NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Morehead soon for a Triumph Boat owner's event. While there, I hope to wet a line and since I do not yet have a boat (i'm always shopping) I am planning on fishing either in the surf or from one of the local piers. I remember the surf zone being quite shallow at Atlantic Beach. I remember the surf zone more attractive for surf fishing down by Salterpath and Indian Beach. I also remember some very nice catches of Flounder and Pomps at Emerald Isle back in the 1980s. Since I have not fished these beaches in such a long time, can anyone point me toward the best fishing beach with good deep sloughs and with an outer bar within easy casting distance. Or do ya'll think my time is better spent fishing for spot and throwing Gotchas from one of the local piers? Which pier???
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I can't point you toward any beach spots. However, I fished Oceanna Pier a couple of day last year and had some good catches of Trout and Spanish. You might stop by Arron's Bait & Tackle or EJW Sports. They have always given me plenty of info on that area.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I would be on one of the piers plugging friday morning . While there you should be able to pick up on some surf fishing spots (the ones that exist now may be long gone before Macfest.) for evening entertainment. If you hit the pier at 5:30 am FRI. and leave around 9ish, that would give you plenty of time to hit the boat show and find Randy for a free lunch. lol Maybe you could hit a tackle shop or 2 after lunch & catch the seminar and by then you ought to know right exactly where to fish that eve. The whole day you would be in contact with local anglers with that good ol local knowledge and up to the minute info. As far as SAT & SUN go I would fish whatever way I thought would be most enjoyable & not worry about #'s. That's the real secret.
As for the beach contour's I think you were on target. The jetties at Ft. Macon cause the sand to build up on the surf side . The beaches are steeper as you go back towards the other end of the island. Good holes don't always last too much longer than the weather pattern that formed them. They can be there one day and gone the next in times of strong longshore currents. Usually though they are formed and filled back in by prevailing wind and current directions in a slower give and take type manner. These type holes wind up migrating around a little in the same general vicinity but are generally there year after year and become 'community holes' as everybody in the community knows about them. They are generally productive spots to fish and the ones locals are most likely to tell you about. I HOPE THIS HELPS . AL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.