NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flounder fishing time is here even though the flounder don't seem to realize it. Here are the basics for those who haven't been there and done that yet. anybody that wants to is welcome to take it farther. BASIC EQUIPMENT: Ideally a 8lb-10lb spinning outfit with a 7' or longer rod or if you have one a steelhead/salmon rod rated for up to 11/2 or 2 oz. Rod length in the case of flounder is really not very important but a light weight and sensitve medium or medium-fast action is ideal. A good mid range reel would be a Shimano Spheros 3000 or 4000. You can get by with a cheaper reel just fine for ocasional use but if you buy one make sure it has a smooth drag because a doormat will test it. I've used a SHIMANO FX that size in the salt with no complaints and that is what I'd recommend for occasional use. THE BASIC RIG: An egg sinker on the main line followed by a #7 black swivel then about 20" of 30lb mono attached to a kahle hook or a circle hook. The sinker sizes rang from 3/4oz to 2oz depending on the current. A #2 kahle hook for small mud minnows and micro mullet up to a 2/0 for finger mullet to 4" . circle hooks should range from a 1/0 to a 3/0. BAIT: any minnow is better than no minnow...the top 3...mud minnows (mummichogs) finger mullet and menhaden up to 4". TECHNIQUE: Make your casts reasonably long and quartering up current your sinker should be heavy enough that it will keep the current from grabbing your line and dragging your bait down current from you. if it isn't chang to a heavier one. RETRIEVE: hold your rod at about a 50 degree angle and bring it back to about 80 degrees and reel as you lower it back down keeping tension on your line. Let it rest about 8 seconds between lifts. If you feel a tap tap on your line restart your 8 second count and reel down to about 40 degrees and then gently lift. If you feel weight then lift a little faster and firmer. Do not jerk!!!Just lift and reel.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Surfing For Flounder 101 Continued

When you are flounder fishing you hook your minnows thru the bottom lip out out thru the top lip. when a flounder takes your bait he grabs it about midships and it takes him a few seconds to turn the bait and swallow it. That is why you need to wait before you try to hook him. too soon and the hook won't be in his mouth yet. with bigger baits give him a few more seconds to deal with getting him turned and swallowed. Sometimes you don't fell that tap tap but notice as you start to lift that the line feels heavy. Drop your rod back down and give him a count of 12 and then try again. This time start with your rod at thirty degrees and be prepared to give him the old quick steady lift while reeling. If you miss one just let the bait stay where it is at for 30 seconds before resuming. Be patient and you will be rewaded. You can also catch them on bucktailss and strips cut from fishbellies

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe in being on the beach just before the sun comes up and fishing til you get hot. The simple reason being that regardless of the tide stage fish are like people. They want to be comfortable. the fish cant just go down to the corner store and pick up a pair of sunglasses so inorder to protect their eyes from the sun and keep their bodies cool they avoid intense sun by moving to deeper water. The reason for getting there just before sun up is that it is light enough to see what you are doing then and by the time the sun pokes its head out from under the covers you can be fishing instead of rigging up. Bait is also an issue if you didn't get some the night before. My tactics for getting minnows varies but I have been known to stop by a well lit dock and make a toss or two with a cast net. Hopefully you have a minnow trap or two to rely on. I like to carry a 5' 3/8" mesh cast net with me on the beach if I think I'll need more minnows. But the net is more weight to carry so I like to take care of the bait issue the evening before or predawn. Flounder are ambush feeders they will gather where the minnows gather but they can also be just about anywhere. I recommend that the stationary angler cover every squre inch of the area around him til he sees a pattern but realize that the patern changes as the conditions are continually changing. Leave the 'walk the beach and hit just the best looking spots' til later when you develop a 6th sense of where they will be under any given set of conditions. That is the time to break out the jigs and belly strips and leave that heavy bucket behind. Until then set up and cover that area. It is best to set up near a break in the bar or near a deep hole but that is a whole 'nother chapter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.