NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen it mentioned for this use, only as a mono-to-mono application.
I've search, and seen the many braid-to-mono knots posted, but not this one.
Anybody used this successfully? I've never thought of trying it 'til I tripped over this link.

Looks quick and simple compared to the others, most of which have quite an aura of complexity to me.

http://www.awesomefishingknots.com/...knot-how-to-tie-braid-to-leader-fishing-knot/

I 'spect I'll be giving it a try.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The only problem with the surgeon's knot is that it is a bulky knot. If your leader connection goes through all the guides expect some lost casting distance. I use a double uni knot and it is still bulkier than the line but comes through the guides much smoother. It isn't a hard knot to tie at all you just have to give yourself enough line to do it properly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. So far what I've tied has been with light line so cast-inhibiting bulk hasn't appeared yet. Will keep that in mind though when using heavier line.

Have tied a triple on one line, and a quad on another - can't pull 'em apart by hand, so I'm guessin' the World Record WhatsitFish I get this afternoon won't either.

GuLuk to me.

Plus Fishin'
RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come by one day at lunch or so and see me for a quick tutorial on knots...:) Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday from 7am til about 3PM.
Should be able to make it in a couple o' weeks. Thanks, Scott.
Plannin' to take my fishin' buddy kayakin' for their first time. Should be fun, but hopefully not ha ha funny comedy fun.

RW

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
FG knot is the best knot for braid to mono hands down. It's nothing more than a bunch of half hitches and there is no knot that is any thinner.
Looks complex but it's not. Once you perfect your technique, they can be tied quickly.

A completed knot looks like the mono has been shoved up into the braid. All those half hitches with the braid digs into the mono.
It works just like a Chinese finger cuff. The harder it's pulled the tighter it gets.

Many ways to tie it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
FG knot is the best knot for braid to mono hands down. It's nothing more than a bunch of half hitches and there is no knot that is any thinner.
Looks complex but it's not. Once you perfect your technique, they can be tied quickly.

A completed knot looks like the mono has been shoved up into the braid. All those half hitches with the braid digs into the mono.
It works just like a Chinese finger cuff. The harder it's pulled the tighter it gets.

Many ways to tie it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk
Nice video. I'm going to have to try that knot.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow DR, I've seen the FG knot multiple times and it has always looked complex, as you mentioned.
However, I had not seen this video - what a find! That guy indeed makes it look easy.
Gonna sit on the couch and practice now.
I can see this being done during trip prep, but replacing a leader while out still looks a little daunting.
Replacement leaders will probably still get tied with something else.

Plus Fishin'
RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Report on Surgeon's Use:
Mrs. Rod and I made it out to the lake yesterday evening - caught 10 between us and the surgeon's knot held well.
It tended to catch a little when retrieving it up into the rod tip guide, but casting was smooth and easy.
Lowering the rod to reduce its angle with the line smoothed reeling in a noticeable amount. Gotta develop the habit.

Plus Fishin'
RW

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've got "home knots" and "boat / beach knots" that I use for leaders. The home knots take a little longer to tie and aren't easy on a pitching deck with the wind blowing hard. The "boat/beach knots" are the good old double uni and the triple surgeons. I like the slim beauty for most of my light tackle fishing with braid and the PR for the heavy duty stuff.. FG knot looks super strong. I'll have to learn that one.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Wow DR, I've seen the FG knot multiple times and it has always looked complex, as you mentioned.
However, I had not seen this video - what a find! That guy indeed makes it look easy.
Gonna sit on the couch and practice now.
I can see this being done during trip prep, but replacing a leader while out still looks a little daunting.
Replacement leaders will probably still get tied with something else.

Plus Fishin'
RW

The more you tie it the quicker and easier it is. I started out using a homemade fixture. Saw some other ways to tie it and tried those. I can probably tie the knot using 5 different methods including using 4 fingers on one hand and the method of using your knees and feet as the tensioning device. Alot of differences in the FG's is the number of half hitches in the beginning of the knot and how many half hitches to finish off the knot. This knot will not stall out on a rod guide or knock a rod guide out.

Sometimes on a Saturday afternoon at the shop I just tie FG knots back to back. 10-15 of them. I'm not as fortunate as some people with good finger dexterity. I have to practice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let the practicing begin.

Thanks All, Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I've got "home knots" and "boat / beach knots" that I use for leaders. The home knots take a little longer to tie and aren't easy on a pitching deck with the wind blowing hard. The "boat/beach knots" are the good old double uni and the triple surgeons. I like the slim beauty for most of my light tackle fishing with braid and the PR for the heavy duty stuff.. FG knot looks super strong. I'll have to learn that one.
Yep, complicated and time consuming knots tied at home to hopefully last the day, but seldom do. Then its to the knots that are quick, simple and easy to tie.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.