NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious so I did a little test this evening. I filled up a one gallon tea pitcher with water and tested the sinking rate of 4 different suspending lures. Mirrolure 17MR, Rapala Shadow Rap, Yozuri 3DS Minnow, and a Bass Pro Brand XPS suspending minnow. They all had stock hooks except the XPS minnow which I had upgraded to 3x strong eagle claw #6 trebles. All lures were held half submerged before letting them go and each lure was tested several times. The sinking rate is as follows. Slowest sink rate listed first.

1. Yozuri 3DS Minnow took 6 seconds to reach the bottom.

2. Rapala Shadow Rap took 4.5 to 5 seconds.

3.Xps suspending minnow took 2.5 seconds.

4. Mirrolure 17MR took 2 seconds.

Yes I was bored but found it interesting that the Shadow Rap which is labeled slow sinking sank over twice as slow as 17MR which is labeled suspending. It may be comparing apples to oranges a bit, I don't know... but take it for what its worth. :)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats interesting to me is I just tried a little jerkbait made by Matzuo thats 3.5 inches long. I have to push it below the waterline to get it started but it takes around 30 seconds to fall! The other day I fished a Storm twitch stick and it floated to the top within 5 seconds. 12lb mono leader. Kinda disappointing. I also tested another small XPS jerkbait that floated up with the stock hooks but I think some heavier hooks would probably get it to suspend. Watch Flukemasters video on youtube about winter jerkbait fishing to see how its important to have them suspend properly. I think you could take that video and apply it to Specks as well.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
to truly test suspending you have to have depth. Suspends at what depth? has something to do with specific gravity and pressure etc , lots of science stuff. Sinking rate is what you tested. The mirrolure should slow down and even stop at a certain depth if I understand this correctly.

Reactions: c.lane and RouseD

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said it is what it is. But I don't think a 17MR is goin to suspend much at that speed. The package for them say 0-2 feet if I remember right. I also understand that line is going to slow each of them down even more. The 3DS minnow at the speed it sank; with fishing line attached I don't think it would ever sink to the bottom. Of all the lures I tested none of them are labeled for more than 4 to 5 feet. With some shallower than that.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Another thing to remember is that the mirrolure is designed for saltwater, which is much more dense then freshwater. The ShadowRap is a freshwater lure by design. When dealing with things like suspending, a little difference can have a huge effect. I'd wager that the MR17 will preform much better in a saltwater tub.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
RT you may already know this, but if you happen to want a lure to sink deeper, and faster, there are some lead dots that can be bought that will stick onto a lure that will accomplish that. That would be a fast way to change the action of a lure in special circumstances. Thanks for the test and for sharing it,

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
0-2 feet on a 17mr is a saltwater specification taking tide into consideration. It will absolutely get deeper... I fish them in 10-15 fow in dead of winter with my 5 minutes per cast retrieve rate and occasionally get snagged on the bottom. I can drop a 17 into the water in one of the Neuse River creeks and watch it sink straight to the bottom. In fact, it sinks at a rate of approximately 6 inches per second in the creeks off of the Neuse. Take that very same 17 down east to my favorite tidal area and cant get it much lower than 2-3 feet.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Water temperature also has an influence on suspending baits, they will suspend different in warm water than they do in cold water. Generally suspending jerkbaits are a cold water lure so most manufacturers probably test them in cold water. They can be fine tuned with suspen-dots or lead solder applied to the hooks or split rings.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I did a little research and the densities of water don't vary nearly as much as we would like to think

Temp Fresh Salt
50 F 999.7 1027.0
85 F 995.6 1021.8

This is a pretty reasonable range of temperatures you would typically encounter fishing. For freshwater the density only decreases about 0.4% going from 50-85 F and salt water decreases about 0.5%. Taking the worst case scenario going from cold salt water to hot fresh water there is only about a 3% decrease in density. Tuning you lures to suspend or sink has far more to do with the variation bait to bait than it does with changing water density. This is why you pay $$$ for Lucky Craft, Megabass, and other high dollar jerkbaits because they suspend properly out of the package.

While in science nerd mode, somebody mentioned depth having an impact. This isn't correct, water is an incompressible fluid and therefore cannot change density with depth (assuming mineral content is constant). Pressure increases with depth but that force acts in all directions on a body. Bouyancy acts only in one direction.

·
Registered
301 Posts
All I know about it is that my "suspending" Slashbait caught me four nice bass today at Randleman ( three at 16" and one at 20"). Air temp was 43 degrees, surface water temp 53 to 54.4 at the upper end of the east branch on the gas side, clarity about normal for Randleman except in the very shallow areas; light rain from 10:30am to noon, followed by heavier but gentle rain; left the lake wet but happy at 3:00 due to previous commitments but confident that the bite would only get better as evening came on. Fished the lure against the bank out towards the boat, with all of the fish hitting about 20 feet offshore in 5 to 10 feet of water. No bait/bass/crappie noted on the fish finder anywhere in the creeks. Lure color white with white/red feathered rear treble hook, fished in classic cold-water style: cast, wait, twitch, waitwaitwait, twitch. All four bass engulfed the lure, whereas with other lures they were only lip-hooked. Co-angler, using what are killer cranks at normal speeds caught zilch until he slowed his retrieve, then he scored. A good first day on the water for this year; waited for better weather, but lost the good days to spring yard work. Then just couldn't stand it anymore and knowing that the rain was coming, went anyway. Glad we did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.