NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. Just recently learned about Sutton Lake and cannot wait to do some bass fishing. I have lived in Wilmington for about 8 years and never really got into saltwater fishing. I grew up trout fishing and got hooked on bass fishing last summer out on Oneida lake in upstate NY. I scoped out Sutton last week. Is there any other way to get to the lake other than sutton lake road. i drove down a dirt road for a while and came out to the two boat launches. I don't have a boat so i was wondering about the fishing off the little walkway area. I fish for bass w/ 5" Senko worms. Does this sound right?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am glad i found this forum !!

·
Registered
359 Posts
First off welcome Murphy,I fish sutton when I can and to my knowledge the road to the ramps is the only legal way to the lake.I like to fish slugos and hard jerkbaits.have you ever fished from a kayak?This is how I fish......mark

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am by no means an expert but ou can catch fish from the dock but on nice days it is filling up fast with bait fishermen. It can be a little tough to find enough elbow room to throw lures. If you have a boat, canoe or kayak you will be better off. I have an extra yak if you ever want to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Murphy, There is a path near the pier(parallel to the shore) that will lead you to agreat fishing spot. The walk is about a quarter of a mile and leads to a peninsula on the left. There are many spots to fish from both sides, but I recommend the spot on the right. It has a little more depth and bottom contour an some vegetation further to the right that you may be able to cast to. I usually fish from my boat, but occasionally take my dog down the path and fish while she swims. I'm sure you will have success at this spot. Have fun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can vouch for taronfoot that if you are willing to make that hike or have a four wheel vehicle you can go where he describes and do very well. I have been there several times. We used to go down that way in the truck, get there around 5pm in the summertime. We would get our rods set up and baited for cats, throw them out and build a fire. Then we would fish for bass along the bank as it got dark. We always caught several small to medium size bass along that bank then when it got dark...watch out!!! The first trip I was down there the very first cat we pulled out was a little over 10lbs..and his head was 8 inches wide at least. I have caught a lof of nice cats out of that hole.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I feel sorry for whoever was fishing at Sutton today. I was in Wilmington with my girlfriend so I decided to ride down there because I have not been to the lake in about 7 or 8 years. Got there and there were about 20 trailers or so there and I walked out on the pier and the wind was blowing hard and there were white caps everywhere. Wasn't a good day to be on the water

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.