NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI GUYS BEEN READING ABOUT SUTTON LAKE NEAR WILMINGTON AND WANT TO GIVE IT A SHOT. CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ANY INFO SUCH AS DIRECTIONS, BOAT RAMP, WHAT THE BASS MAYBE BITING THIS TIME WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
ALSO I KNOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HEATED WATER SO DO THE BREAM BITE THERE THIS TIME OF YEAR ALSO?
MY DAD AND BROTHER-IN-LAW ARE NEW TO FISHING AND I ALWAYS TRY TO GET THEM SOMETHING THEY CAN CATCH WITH OUT TO MUCH DIFFUCULITY IF I CAN.
THANKS FOR ANY INFO YALL CAN THROW MY WAY.:rolleyes:
JAMES

SORRY FOR ALL CAPS BUT AT WORK:eek:(IN A VEHICLE) AND CAN ONLY REACH KEYBOARD WITH ONE HAND SO I USUALLY LEAVE CAPS LOCK ON.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sutton has a good rep for catfish I know.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sorry Im no help Ive fished it twice and got skunked both times. Yesterday I was there and and used brushhogs, slug-go's, MS Slammer, Jig'n'Pig and didn't even get a bite. I fished for 4 hours in the afternoon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
JANDK,I have been fishing sutton for years from my kayak both with flyrod and conventional tackle. As far as how to get there ,head 421 north out of wilmington I think just a couple of miles,look on the left for a WILDLIFE RAMPsign right beside a fire department. Follow the road which turns to gravel all the way to the lake.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just another note.If you use google earth you can get a fair view of sutton. Try to get onthe water just before dawn.If the plant is discharging hot water go left from the ramp and start fishing right away.I like smythwick rogues,slugos,carolina rig centipedes.hope this helped.shoot me a pm if you would like to get together and fish it.....mark

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot for info everybody. Haven't been trying to not answer before but I haven't been at work and I just got my computer hooked back up at home whoopee I am finally in my new house so the computer is back online.
thanks for info again
James

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Gald to hear you're getting things squared away JnK!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just fished there yesterday wanted to try out a new reel. I did not get there till about 2pm fished till 4:30 caught 3 bass from 1 1/2-4 lb all on texas rigged worms and lost several others. I fished from my canoe and was about the only boat at the end of the hot ditch. The fish are biting and I hope to go again soon maybe Monday.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks For All The Info Guys. Can't Wait To Get Out That Way And Try Them. Haven't Caught A Bass In A Couple Of Months And Am Withdrawals Lol.
I Fish From A Brown And Red Procraft, If U See Me On The Water Don't Hesitate To Say Hey
James

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry I am so late but I did make it out on Monday only caught one small bass but the weather made up for it. I fish were skiddish saw lots of bass but they did not want my baits, even saw a striper rolling. The only person I saw catching fish was bass fishing with live bait that they caught cast netting in the lake. I try to keep an eye on what others are doing it gave me my best tip last year when the fish were schooling use the Fluke weightless.

·
Registered
359 Posts
mulletman,I don`t want to rub you the wrong way, but I`m pretty sure there are no stripers in sutton lake. now there are some huge carp in there that I`ve seen roll and even tail like a redfish. If there are stripers there then I apologize it`s news to me.......mark

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sutton Lake
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sutton Lake was formed in 1972 when Carolina Power impounded Catfish Creek, a tributary to the Cape Fear River. It has a maximum depth of 25 feet (old creek channel) and an average depth of five feet. Standing timber was not removed prior to flooding, leaving numerous stumps and logs which provide ideal habitatfor largemouth bass. The lake is located approximately three miles northwest of Wilmington off US 421.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The peak fishing season for largemouth bass at Sutton Lake occurs between March and June and from September through November. Due to the warmwater discharge from the power plant, winter bass fishing can also be good. Night fishing is also very popular at Sutton Lake during the hot summer months. The water in Sutton Lake is relatively clear, requiring the use of fairly light line (6-8 lb. test). The spring spawning period (April to June) is the most productive time to fish for sunfish.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A contour map of Sutton Lake showing approximate depths, the location of the old creek channel, and the dike system is available from CP&L by writing: L.V Sutton Steam Electric Plant, Route 6, Box 46, Wilmington, NC 28405, or Wilmington District Office, 401 N. Front Street, Box 1110, Wilmington, NC 28402.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Excerpt taken from this website.... Freshwater Opportunities in Eastern North Carolina

[/FONT]

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a 40' deep hole in lake 3 ... and in lake 5 two large pipes pump in water from the CFR when they need to raise the level, which is quite often. Now Im not saying that there are stripers or more likley hybrids in sutton, but you can't rule out anything that swims in the river from being in the lake. In 93 the whole area flooded and the river and the lake intermixed freely for days.
Did you know that there are flounder in sutton lake? I have personally caught 2 small ones and saw one about five pounds. Also the Progress Energy shock boat was out a couple of weeks ago and told me that there is a good supply of SHRIMP in the lake right now!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have been within 15' of the stripers before the ones I have seen have been near or in the hot ditch. They looked about 12-15 lbs the first time I saw them was this fall I thought they were big bass or carp but when I paddled up to them I could see the stripes on them while they rolled and gulped shad at the surface. Last summer when I was fishing there I saw some fish breaking the surface after a few cast I hooked one at first I thought it was a gar but it turned out to be a school of needle fish. I don't know all the different fish in that lake but I ask a coworker that fishes there and he said he had heard about the stripers from a local tackle shop but had not personally seen them. I do fish from canoe and the only time that I have seen the stripers is when there have been no power boats around early in the day. I have not seen any flounder in the lake but have seen the pictures and am looking forward to catching one there. All people that I have heard and seen the pictures of the flounder said that they were caught on worms is this what you have caught them on Capt Pete?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.