NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to head down to Sutton Lake this Wednesday to do some bass and catfishing. Anybody close by know what the water level is like? We have had a lot of rain here and the river is high.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the site Dave! I'm sure someone down that way will speak up!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My son and I caught some nice large mouth on the Cape Fear where Rockfish Creek enters. Using minnows and floats we anchored and threw into the mouth of the creek. Let the float drift out and as soon as it hit the river current we were catching them pretty quick. Biggest was just slightly over 2 lbs, but there were plenty of them. We put in at Riverside Marina and went downstream from there.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I didn't go by Sutton this week-end but every other body of water down this way is way up, most well past normal. We saw a lot of stranding water in the woods and areas surrounding many of the creeks and ponds. I told my wife I think its safe to say the drought is over in these parts. Might start all over again but right now we have plenty of water!

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Sutton Water levels varies. Water level is controlled by the power plant and how much water they want to pump into the lake. Level will vary by as much a three (3) feet, but it is not dependent on the weather, just what Progress Eng. wants. The Lake has been real busy since the article by Mike Marsh.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Water level should be fine. Dont know if you've been there before but be careful if you are in a boat. There are places where it gets shallow very quickly and there are submerged trees and other stuff to deal with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, Sutton Lake report for 4/9/08.

We got there and got the boat in the water about 9:30am. The weather was pretty overcast which was not what I was expecting from the weather report. Almost like a mist coming down, and the wind was high.

We went straight across from the boat ramp to the far shore and tried fishing for about 20 minutes, but the wind was to high. We moved over to the leeward side of the peninsula that runs out through the lake to the north of the boat ramp and that blocked the wind. We had to stay on the leeward side pretty much all day which limited our fishing spots.

Soon the sun came out and the wind died down. The fishing was relaxing but we got skunked. We tried minnows, night crawlers, gizzards, cut bait, and a few lures. Nothing worked.

We stayed until about 2:30 when the clouds moved in again and the wind picked back up pretty strong. Looked like a storm blowing in.

Anyway, a relaxing day on the water and we will be back soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.