NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Sutton Lake Saturday morning early so we could be on the fish when they started biting. Didn't work out as well as we wanted spent about 6 hours total with only 2 smallie bass landed and a few bites. We decided that spending the rest of the day getting skunked didn't sound fun so we moved on outa there. We left and decided to find a spot on the river to put in. That's when it got good...

We paddled up the Cape Fear River a ways and found a load of grass beds and they were just packed with bass, hitting every few casts. Best day of bass fishing ive had since ive been out here in the NC. And if anyone is curious they were eating up the Zoom Pumpkin/Chartreuse lizards. Had to break into the second pack because they were tearing em up so much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 to 4.5 lbs. on all of them. My buddy hooked a huge looking one but wasn't able to land it, from experience had to be close to 7 lbs. by the size of him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went out to Sutton Lake Saturday morning early so we could be on the fish when they started biting. Didn't work out as well as we wanted spent about 6 hours total with only 2 smallie bass landed and a few bites. We decided that spending the rest of the day getting skunked didn't sound fun so we moved on outa there. We left and decided to find a spot on the river to put in. That's when it got good...

We paddled up the Cape Fear River a ways and found a load of grass beds and they were just packed with bass, hitting every few casts. Best day of bass fishing ive had since ive been out here in the NC. And if anyone is curious they were eating up the Zoom Pumpkin/Chartreuse lizards. Had to break into the second pack because they were tearing em up so much.
Sorry about the late post, but do you remember where you put in on the river? I live in Wilmington and would like to try the Cape Fear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry about the late post, but do you remember where you put in on the river? I live in Wilmington and would like to try the Cape Fear.
There's not a real good boat access to Cape Fear that I know of near Sutton Lake except for Davis Creek, which I think is mainly used by kayakers. Castle Hayne has good acces to the northern part of the river. River Road Park is closer to Carolina Beach/Wilmington area.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts

Try the lake in the winter time and fish the area as close to the hot ditch as possible. There's a fish barrier that will prevent accessing the "hot ditch". That lake was built by Duke and is a cooling pond for the Sutton plant. Basically water is used in the steam generator. It's sucked up at one side of the lake (intake canal) and discharged at the other (effluent channel aka hot ditch - see red arrow) after being heated in the electrical generation process. The fish are attracted to the warm water in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts