NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i need to fish for the flounder? Fish close to the grass islands? What kind of bait do i need to use? What color artifical bait do i need?

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
My recent success for flatties has come all on artificial baits. Also, all fish have been caught right up on the grass during tide shifts. I would suggest reading through the posts, tons of great information to be had from those much more experienced

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm new to the area and haven't caught flounder here. If you needed something to go with this morning, I'll answer the easy questions. Shrimp is one of the best baits I've used to catch flounder. The color for artificial bait, I start with is close to the real thing and change as needed. What I mean by that is, pay attention to other possible food sources around your fishing spot and if you have a color to match and not catching try that color. Many differences will make one color better than the other. Weather, depth, time of day, Etc. Also, I have found the locations where there is a sudden change in depth (I call it a hole) could be a good start for finding the flounders during the day. At night they come up to shallower waters with the tides to feed. Structures are also good starting points, I had a hole under a interstate bridge in Mobile, AL that was a local know location. One more thing, I like having my weight 15" to 24 " above my bait. This allows your bait free movement with the currents. Your weight sits on the bottom and bait will move around. Hope that helps get you started and I'm sure people will give local knowledge after they get off the water. good luck.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Not much tide around swan quarter. Fish the edge with a white or chartreuse soft plastic. I would suggest gulp shrimp. I don't like the curly tail gulps as the pinfish destroy them instantly. 1/4 oz jighead and make sure it bumps the bottom and retrieve slow. Watch the john skinner and modern pawn videos on flounder fishing from youtube. John skinner is mostly fishing ledges so it won't be the same as swan quarter flounder fishing but the rig he uses is a great one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts