NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swansboro area - new to the site

Hi, my name is Kevin and live I Swansboro, NC. I fish off the pier across from the seafood restaurant on Hwy 24 heading toward Morehead. My question is whats running in rhe river right now?? I hear of Drum, trout ect. If so, when (time) is the best time to go. I have a tide chart but was told not to pay attention to it??...Im really interrested in the flounder so if anyone knows the area and can give me some good advise like what bait they like best i would greatly appreciate it. Ive been using frozen squid, shrimp and mullet. Thanks!!

Kevin

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Kevin - Welcome to NC Angler I moved your post to the meet & greet forum so folks can say howdy to you.

The flounder are starting to move into the creeks and flats area. I like to flounder fish on the last half of the falling tide my self but from a pier it might not make much difference. One of my favorite baits for flounder is a live fish - a pin fish (cut off the top of his dorsal fins to make it easier to swallow), mud minnow or finger mullet. Use what is called a carolina rig - put a small egg sinker on your main line, tie a swivel at the end, I like to put a bead between the weight and swivel just to keep the weight from jamming on the swivel. Then attach about 18 -24 inches of 30 pound fluro or mono and a 3/0 or 4/0 hook on the end. I like to snell my hooks but you can use a knot if you prefer. Also some guys add spinners and beads above the hook, that's up to you.

That technique is good for drum and an occasional speck too.

The flounder will bite the dead baits you mentioned but I think you'll catch more nice ones with live fish. If you want to try artificial - try the Berkely Gulp or Bass Assasin Slurp - they work as good as live bait in a lot of cases.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome Flounder1!

Just caught my first ever flounder last week, a 13" throwback. Gulp Shrimp on 1/4oz jig head. Partner caught 2 others just like him on the same bait. Caught in a tidal marsh on the island side of the intercoastal at Hampstead. I was surprised by how slimy & squishy they were. Wish I could offer more advice, but the salt is still very new to me and a rare treat.

Good luck with the catching!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Fish them pilings slow and really work over the down current side. If you don't have any luck with the flounder go crabbing and get you some real bait. Pull off the legs and claws and cut in quarters, Feed to the drum and trout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.