NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
headed to Swansboro Monday for the first time to chase some reds. I have spent a lot of time on the Nuese and creeks around Havelock area. Am deciding to venture out to where I hear to real reds hide. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what tackle to use, what to look for, launch areas, and any other advice you could think of. Also, I will be out there all day, so if anyone is planning on going out and wouldn't mind having me tag along, that would be awesome as well. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
#1 pay attention to where you are and watch the tide. Easy to get lost down there. I speak from experience. As far as bait/lures go a 1/4 oz jig head and a white or similar 3 or 4 inch paddle tail is really all you need. If that doesn't produce I would find a long straight stretch in the marsh and soak a piece of cut bait near the edge. Mullet, pin fish etc. Paddle quietly and keep your eyes open. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks. Is there a launch you like best where I can find some decent spots without a very long paddle?

·
Registered
278 Posts
#1 pay attention to where you are and watch the tide. Easy to get lost down there. I speak from experience. As far as bait/lures go a 1/4 oz jig head and a white or similar 3 or 4 inch paddle tail is really all you need. If that doesn't produce I would find a long straight stretch in the marsh and soak a piece of cut bait near the edge. Mullet, pin fish etc. Paddle quietly and keep your eyes open. Good luck!
What kind of rod/reel and line do you like to use?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
At high tide they will be up in the shallows or grass feeding on crabs etc. At low they will be in the deeper holes which won't be more than 2 feet or so at low. A creek mouth on a falling tide is a good spot because the drum and flounder will stage up waiting on bait to get washed out of the creek.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rooster, thank you so much for the tips. I will definitely be exactly where you said on Monday. I am excited to get on some reds and flounder. I have some white paddle tails that I'm going to try out for sure. If you got some free time Monday, maybe you could come show me the ropes?! 😃

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, I have a new baby due in October so I am trying to get as much action in as I can. I hear you about oyster rock. I fished hoop hole creek on Friday, and was getting snagged on everything under the sun. Fished top water quite a bit there as well but wasn't producing much. Hopefully Monday will show some better results. Thanks again for the tips guys.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've looked hard at those marshes. Never see many boats up in them. Are they better fished from a kayak? I might just be looking at the wrong time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So there's usually quite a bit of boat traffic over there? Can't imagine there's too much once you get up into the marshes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.