NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, because of shoulder problems that will result in surgery and a possible length recovery, I am going to try to learn to cast my spinning rod left handed. As long as I keep my right elbow close to my side and my right hand in front of me and don't make sudden moves with my right arm I can use it. Left shoulder is not exactly perfect either; I won't be casting overhand, probably more sidearm with a lot of wrist action. Any tips from others who have switched to casting from their "goofy" side?

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, because of shoulder problems that will result in surgery and a possible length recovery, I am going to try to learn to cast my spinning rod left handed. As long as I keep my right elbow close to my side and my right hand in front of me and don't make sudden moves with my right arm I can use it. Left shoulder is not exactly perfect either; I won't be casting overhand, probably more sidearm with a lot of wrist action. Any tips from others who have switched to casting from their "goofy" side?

The he switch will become natural with practice and time. Best wishes on the surgery.......

·
Registered
690 Posts
Tip #1: Stay with you dominant hand, if you can, and use both hands to cast with. Push-pull with both hands, it's easier on all your attachments, with much less shock. It's not convenient for kayaking, but if you can use both hands, the learning curve is much less, and you don't have to unlearn to go back to normal casting.

Tip #2 If you start casting with your non dominant hand, you have a tendency to use your shoulder and elbow, and not turn your wrist as you do with you dominant hand. Use all your arm (shoulder, elbow, wrist), and you will get there much faster.

Fishscalz, with several rebuilds behind me....:)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some fish (besides the two pictured, another small bass) actually agreed to participate in the experiment. I can't do both hands right now; too much pain in right shoulder if I don't restrict range of motion. The cast that worked best for me was a motion like I was throwing a Frisbee forehand - start with rod pointed to my right swing it out to point where I was casting, releasing right before that point. I was much wilder with my backhand cast. Overhand cast is not an option; I tried a couple of times and could feel that shoulder's warning signs and went back to sidearm casts. Setting the hook and playing the fish was almost more awkward than casting, but I think I can deal with it. I will be down by the sound next weekend and probably get a lot more practice them.

Hand Finger Thumb Grass Terrestrial animal
Underwater Fin Fish Fish supply Marine biology

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I turned around another reel and mounted it on a little longer rod and put a practice plug on it and lobbed it around a few times in the yard. The back hand cast is a lot easier with more weight (I think that makes more difference than the length). I was casting UL down at the pond.

Yeah, it is pretty much a matter of cast left handed or not fish for a while; possibly several months.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry to hear your going on the DL before the season really gets started. I think that frisbee motion could be the answer. Tossed a lot of disc on The Oval while in college and experimented with throwing left (non dominant) handed. It took a while, but as with anything you get better with practice. There's power in that flick o the wrist. Good luck and hope you have a great rehab/recovery. God Speed Sir.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Good luck on the shoulder surgery the rehab is the worse. The pain after is worse than you could imagine.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Hope you get the left hand cast down pat soon. I was wondering if you put something like a sling over your right shoulder, and around your left side to put some pressure on your right shoulder if that would cause less pain. From what I am hearing, most likely that will not work either.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck on the shoulder surgery the rehab is the worse. The pain after is worse than you could imagine.
I am paying 2 tuitions right now; can't be any worse than that. :D
I once broke a bone on a hiking trip; a multi day pack in trip and had to hike over a pass in the snow to get out. Either that or the first time I had a costochondritis flare is about the worst I have had (the latter is pain with every breath and the first time I had it I thought it was a heart atack). So I have some experience with pain. I reserve my imagination for not having pain.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I am paying 2 tuitions right now; can't be any worse than that. :D
I once broke a bone on a hiking trip; a multi day pack in trip and had to hike over a pass in the snow to get out. Either that or the first time I had a costochondritis flare is about the worst I have had (the latter is pain with every breath and the first time I had it I thought it was a heart atack). So I have some experience with pain. I reserve my imagination for not having pain.
Good luck I had Torn right labrum repaired doing stuff ya never did with left hand is part of the issue. It the pai of movements is amazing in first few weeks.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took my longer stiffer rod down to the pond and picked up another bass and another bream. A little less awkward each time; actually had a couple of casts that I could not have improved on right handed, but the majority are still a bit short and often wide of the mark.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have you ever learned to "shoot" lures? As I refer to like "shooting docks". I found myself using it in creeks too where low hanging limbs were an obstacle. With the right rod you can manage more distance than you would think.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One reason I never really learned that is that I got pretty good at snapping a side arm cast with about the same effect. If I try to go through the motions of how I did that, I can feel the pain from the tear. Hmmm...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have started casting left handed after fishing tournaments from back of the boat for several years. I'm not quite as proficient as I want to be, but it's a work in progress. It helps alot when I can't get a good cast in with my right hand to shoot left handed. I suspect it may help lenghten my fishing career as well by taking some of the strain off my right side. Keep at it, it will be natural after awhile. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.