NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good spinning reel for inshore salt in the $100 range. Considering the Shimano Symetre but would like to hear about experience from regular inshore guys on this reel and any other comparably priced suggestions. It will be used mostly in the creeks for reds and flounder or for tossing light baits in the surf and mounted on a Falcon 7'6" medium action rod.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have had two of them for several years mounted on Star rods and have never had any issues with them. Like any other reel it will only last as long as you keep it up. Rinse them after each use and keep them lubed and they should last for a long time.

Reactions: h2ohhh

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a Symetre 3000 the green frame one and loved it!! Unfortunately its now at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. The next day I went to look for a replacement and found they had redesigned the Symetre. I thought it looked like it was very inferior to the previous model. Mainly it the bail, its not a solid piece. Then the guy showed me the new new Penn spinfisher, and I was sold. It's heavy but a tank. I feel like Shimano has dropped the ball on their mid range reels. They don't seem to be as well constructed as the used to be. This coming from a former die hard Shimano guy.

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
I have one for years actually 2 and the one had 20 pond braid on it. I used the freakin thing everywhere!! I caught a 30 red off the surf on a gold castmaster. That reel is a beast the 4000 series Man I love that reel!!! Many blues Spanish reds flounder lady fish etc on that reel took a real beating!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
My only complaint is that when working a Gotcha plug with braid, the drag tends to slip just a bit every time you snap the rod. Tightening it to the point where it will no longer give that slip is not feasible with light line. Other than that it's a great reel, and the fact that there is no hesitation on the drag is a positive once you've got a fish hooked.

This is likely a minor problem with just my reel but would be curious if others have experienced it. I got mine on clearance so it could not be returned, and otherwise it has performed well.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Having decided on the Symetre I utilized my infinite wisdom to drop a hint to Mrs. H2ohh regarding Fathers Day. Young married men, pay attention to the strategy.......

h2ohhh: Honey, fathers day is coming up.

Mrs. H: I know. Is there anything in particular you would like?

h2ohhh: Well, I've had my eye on a reel to go with my new Falcon rod but please don't do that. It's $100 and can wait until we have more money.

Now, she has no idea what reel I wanted any more than I would have on what pocketbook she wanted. What she did know was where I buy almost all of my sporting goods. Of course, I knew that she knew that.

On fathers day I have a $100 gift card to Academy Sports which she and my daughter split. I go down there to get my Symetre and they are out of stock. Bummer. Yesterday I stop by and lo' and behold the Symetre is on clearance for $74.99. I got the last one in Concord. But if you live in Kannapolis, Rock Hill or Hickory area you might check.

And I'm definitely upgrading to the carbon drag kit. But it's one beautiful rod and reel.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Update:

Having decided on the Symetre I utilized my infinite wisdom to drop a hint to Mrs. H2ohh regarding Fathers Day. Young married men, pay attention to the strategy.......

h2ohhh: Honey, fathers day is coming up.

Mrs. H: I know. Is there anything in particular you would like?

h2ohhh: Well, I've had my eye on a reel to go with my new Falcon rod but please don't do that. It's $100 and can wait until we have more money.

Now, she has no idea what reel I wanted any more than I would have on what pocketbook she wanted. What she did know was where I buy almost all of my sporting goods. Of course, I knew that she knew that.

On fathers day I have a $100 gift card to Academy Sports which she and my daughter split. I go down there to get my Symetre and they are out of stock. Bummer. Yesterday I stop by and lo' and behold the Symetre is on clearance for $74.99. I got the last one in Concord. But if you live in Kannapolis, Rock Hill or Hickory area you might check.

And I'm definitely upgrading to the carbon drag kit. But it's one beautiful rod and reel.
The Concord Mills Academy rocks! I picked up a $65.00 trailer wench on clearance for $25.00. Drawback to that location is they are weak on saltwater baits (as expected) There are very good deals to be had at Academy Sports.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.