NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a boat with a t-top. However, my better half is pushing to get one. I am really worried it will get in the way while fishing. I mainly fish the Pamlico Sound/River and it's feeder creeks. T-top will be placed on 19 ft. Center console. If anybody can offer advice on the pros and cons it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Happy wife equals happy life, however a t top for inshore fishing is a burden. You'd honestly be better suited with a Bimini top. Fold it down out of the way or even quickly remove it when the wife isn't with you and throw it up to give her some shade when she is. The t top will be in your way of casting, you'll likely smack it with a rod or two and end up breaking that rod, and it'll also catch the always present Pamlico sound wind and act like a sail.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
smaller T-tops only make shade a couple of hours midday. I don't see a real advantage. Also keep in mind where you launch and go, bridges become an issue when water is up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Happy wife equals happy life, however a t top for inshore fishing is a burden. You'd honestly be better suited with a Bimini top. Fold it down out of the way or even quickly remove it when the wife isn't with you and throw it up to give her some shade when she is. The t top will be in your way of casting, you'll likely smack it with a rod or two and end up breaking that rod, and it'll also catch the always present Pamlico sound wind and act like a sail.
smaller T-tops only make shade a couple of hours midday. I don't see a real advantage. Also keep in mind where you launch and go, bridges become an issue when water is up.
I agree with Trigger...t-tops in inshore boats don't play nice with rods.
Agree agree. I am glad I don't have one anymore for inshore. stick a beach umbrella in a rod holder... I do that sometimes for the wifey

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
What these fellas have said. I have a bimini that I can throw on for the wife and girls and it is easy to take off. It provides more shade than a T-top so that makes her happy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i am in the same situation, i have a 22' bayboat and i do a little bit of both styles of fishing. i will go out off the beach when i can and fish inshore as well. i am in between a Ttop and a bimini top. if i get a T top on my boat i will also have to figure out where to store it. Good luck! i am leaning towards bimini!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I'm in the minority here but I prefer a T-top over a bimini. Wife and I fish together most of the time. The t-top gives us shade on some part of the boat from about 10am thru 4pm and you can get an extender to provide shade on the entire front or back. I've never hit the top or post when casting (have caught the uhf antenna a few times when I forget to raise it). Only have issue with low bridges when antenna is up or rods in the rod holders on the t-top poles. Bimini pole will get in the way when up the whole kit will be a problem storing when down. T-tops can also have rod holders, lights, and storage boxes added to them. T-tops do cost a lot more than bimini.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I would never own a 18+ boat w/o a ttop. Well worth the money IMO. Shade storage lights looks, DO IT. I always fished off the front or rear deck so it never got in the way. Even under it just cast from the side. ONLY downside is in heavy wind it will get pushed around.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think everybody has covered it above. I personally favor a T-Top, but you've got to have a wide enough beam for it to be practical. Spray curtains are an additional option, but a significant added cost. Very nice when it's sloppy or rainy or cold. Or all of the above.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats why for me it is a big decision (my boat has 8'6" beam) when not at the coast i fish alot of lakes. i really wanted the T top mainly for curtains and rod holders, if i do decide to do T top, i have heard good things about High Speed welding? any input on them or someone else to make it? I live in central NC so regardless as to who does it i will have to drive down and come back down to retrieve it. I was planning on doing it in Oct.-Nov. of this year. Or just get a bimini for the time being, oh decisions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Some like t-tops, others don't. There are also people out there who can't cast around vertical rods on the side of the console. I regularly duck my head going under bridges so T-top wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Coastal Marine Fabrication in New Bern (James City on Hwy 70) has done work for me & several friends. Donald Willis is as fair & honest as they come. Also a great supporter of fisheries conservation.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Definitely pros and cons on a t-top. The pros outweigh the cons for me. Shade, rod storage, electronics box, mounting for lights and antenna, t-top bag storage, nothing to set up our take down and no straps/bows to get in the way like a bimini has.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely pros and cons on a t-top. The pros outweigh the cons for me. Shade, rod storage, electronics box, mounting for lights and antenna, t-top bag storage, nothing to set up our take down and no straps/bows to get in the way like a bimini has.
X2

I had a Bimini on previous boat, never again. Talk about a pain to fish around. Have a T-Top made to your specs., not one out of a can. I stood on my boat w/ the builder and said I want it this tall, this far forward, this far back and this far out to the sides. Mine is what some would call on the small side (a few inches here or there makes a difference). Cover form the sun/rain when at the wheel but tighter than most all the way around. Call Gore Marine in Wilmington and get a Weblon top not Sunbrella (water proof and easier to clean).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.