NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gery (Hunters Haven) and I headed out this morning at 4:30 am for the Seagate KMT. Put the boat in the water and couldn't get the bow or anchor light to work :mad: Fiddled with it for 45 minutes and finally got the anchor light working but not the bow lights. Sunrise was now approaching quickly and light was available so we headed out for bait.

We arrived at our fist bait stop and nothing, so we quickly moved to stop two and filled up with menhaden. Out in the Ocean we went. Lines in by 6:30. First fish on at 7:30 - he was a whopper but not a king - he was a.................

............... Sailfish

He hit a live menhaden on a double pogy rig on the medium flat line. First He tail walked four times - what a sight, then when he couldn't throw the hook, he started on a screeching run of over 350 yards. Gery was working the reel and doing a fine job of keeping just the right amount of pressure on him. I cleared the other lines and the downrigger then turned the boat and chased the fish down with the boat with less than 75 yards of line left. Once Gery got him turned, we idled and the fight continued for over 20 minutes.

Once we had him in the boat we took pictures, measured him - a WHOPPING 73 inches! and then revived and released him to fight another day. What an awesome catch Great job Gery!

We ended up catching one king under 10 pounds and a few sharks. Lost a couple of small kings and an amberjack. Didn't weigh in at the tourney but we had a blessed day from our Father in heaven and enjoyed every minute of it!

·
Registered
670 Posts
This was another first for me! The Lord has really blessed me through NC Angler to meet some wonderful people and enjoy fishing as I have over the past several months. First with Wellcraft Dave with whom I caught my first Mahi and then with Mike (Topsail Angler) for my first Sail. I am thankful that I have been able to learn from these captains the art of saltwater fishing at a deeper level. I actually went to Tex's Tackle last week to learn how to properly throw a 12 ft. cast net and it paid off on the first cast this morning. I know the captain's don't get much credit for the fish that are caught but Mike could have just as easly taken the rod and reeled this fish in and so with that I say that it is a team effort when you're sharing a boat together. It was a blast and another memory I'll never forget. Now I've got two fish to put on the wall.:)
Gery

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You guys sure had me fooled....I assumed the silence was due to a bad day.:eek: I should have known better. Congratulations to both of you. It might not have paid cash money but who can complain about a 6' sail? From what I have been reading while waiting on this post, it was an all around tough fishing day offshore. Every time I checked the wind was too light and variable to put any chop on the water.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sinker Man - what a difference a day makes. Yesterday there was bait on about every ledge out there - folks were catching decent size fish in many locations. Today - the bait pods offshore were scarce and so were the kings. We had a light chop most of the day except the first hour or two when it was mirror calm.

Here's a couple more shots of the sail:

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Dave,
My camera tore up today so guess I'm in the market for a new one. Gotta have that to take pix of all my other firsts that are yet to come! One thing for sure, there was no cloud cover today and the wife says I look like a red lobster. :eek: 12 hours in the sun will do that for sure! Mike, I talked to my other fishing buddy who said there were 6-8 footers off southport today. Glad we didn't have that! Till next time.....see ya.
Gery

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone interested, For a modest fee Mike is now offering fishing lessons through the Topsail Angler Fishing Acadamy. The focus is on how to catch BIGGGGGGG fish out of a small boat! :D

ps: This post has not yet been approved by TA:p
:D:D:D

Its interesting that you mention big fish out of a small boat. Several months ago one of the fishing magazines shows up in the mailbox with a picture of a big sailfish being held by an angler on the front cover. My wife asks "what kind of fish is that?", I tell her its a sailfish, she comments on how pretty it is then proceeds to say "too bad your boat is too small to catch a fish like that!".

Well honey, I'm all for a bigger boat but I guess my boat is big enough after all!

(BTW - I'm a student at the TA fishing academy, I learn something every time I go out.)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So do we....;) ..... we great free lessons when you get back. Now everybody is itching to go catch them a sail. It sounds so easy....just get up early and catch some pogies run offshore a little piece and toss the pogies back in with hooks in them. Well I know better.... Them prayers the night before just might have had a little something to do with it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Sinker,
I believe prayers were answered for sure not only the night before but also before we left the dock. Like I told Mike sometimes the Lord puts obsticales in our path to prevent us from running into danger and then again maybe He was working on the timing so we'd be in the right place at the right time to boat this fish. We never know. As to the modest fee mentioned above let's call that time and effort and a willingness to learn. Like anything else in life you can just set back and do things the easy way by letting others do all the work or you can get involved and learn the ropes but like they say "there's a price to pay". This is one school I enjoy attending!
Gery

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I got the feeling Tadpole was paying the price on his first trip but I'm sure he will jump at the next chance also. Mike and Dave have done their homework and got out there and figured out how to put it to good use. Things I have noticed they have in common is preparation, attention to details and a never say die attitude. As one infamous Capt. says "you've got to do the work." They do the work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.