NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now i have 3 or four tackle boxes, and a TON of plastics. Im looking to condense my stuff together into a tackle bag that will be stored in a boat most of the time, so im thinking of getting a bigger one bc i wont be carrying it around alot. I really like the idea of the plano boxes so im definatly sold on those, but after lots of internet research am still not sure how to store all my plastics. Has anyone used the ziplock storage-putting all of your plastics in original bags in big ziplock bags organized by type(creatures, trick worms, etc.) or does anyone just use big plano boxes for their plastics? Also, I am having a hard time finding a decent sized tackle bag. One that I have found is the Cabelas advanced angler in either the Magnum or super Magnum size.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...3Bcat104619780&destination=/user/wishlist.jsp

Thanks for any help/advice/info

·
Registered
6,379 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Found the tool bags below to be economical i.e. cheap and good for storing softplastics in their original bags. I use a marker to write color(s) and or type of baits on the canvas bag. Hold plenty of bags but few enough it is easy to find what you need also easy to load/unload. Found my original bags at Harbor Freight, think I have since seen them at Walmart.

Product Luggage and bags Bag Electric blue Font

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking about getting the Magnum Cabelas bag, then keeping my plastics in a separate container organized by bait type, that way my stuff is all together in two different containers, and if i ever fished on someone else's boat i could condense it to the one tackle bag.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My soft plastics go in the plano zip worm bags
in original packages,
got a BPS worm wallet for crappie jigs

Took a page from the paddling book and got myself a second crate for the motor boat. Can get 6 of the 3600 boxes in a standard crate (8 in the file sized crates from office supply stores). I have a few more than 6-8 plano 3600s, the ones I'm not using for the day reside in an old file cabinet.
Attached a mesh pocket to one side of the crate for tools and line.

A web strap makes a shoulder strap if needed but it really ain't too fun to carry very far. Works like a charm otherwise, cheap, very sturdy and will also dbl as a fair seat if need be.

As for huge tackle bags, BPS sells their brand backpack tackle bag. My son has one and it is a good sturdy bag, zips apart for lighter trips and hold a ton of gear.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have tried about every way there is to store plastics. Jumbo ziploc bags, plastic shoe boxes, Cooks Go To system, and right now I am using the deep plano boxes.

All my other tackle is stored in Plano 3700 boxes in the boat's storage boxes. When I go with someone else I carry the big red Bass Pro Shops bag. It is plenty big and usually only about 1/2 full, even when I tournament fished as a co-angler.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I keep them in their bags to help retain the moisture or whatever of the baits. I've taken some out in the past and put them in boxes only to have them melt together. As far as storing them straight, mine sometimes get stuffed in a bag and they definitely aren't straight. I don't thing you have to worry about it. I wouldn't purposely bend them in half and put in the box either though.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Absolutely leave the bulk of your plastics in their original packages no matter how you store the bags, if the seal don't seal drop the whole package in a ziplock. Not that it makes a lot of sense, but if you put them in a plastic box, and moisture collects and stays for a while colors will fade & get milky, or they'' stick together, or you'll pinch them in the lid, or all sorts of other nasty things.........

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
@neilslure,,, do you keep the plastics in original package when you put them in planos or do you take them out? do they dry out/melt in the planos? I really like the neatness of plano boxes
I keep everything in the original bag. The deep boxes are just a means of organizing and containing the bags. I keep my plastic (about 15 lbs worth) in the rear storage compartment in my boat for weight distribution purposes. I take what I plan to use out and keep it in the front storage box along with a few bags of my go to plastics.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have been keeping my plastics in the original bags. In the past, I had had many plastics to stick together and fade also, so for the last several years, I've kept them in the original bags. Was just wondering if some of the newer tackle bags, and boxes did any beter than they used to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do not mixed the Z-man plastic with any other plastic you will have a mess, Buddy mine I was fishing with one day he had all his worms in 1 box no bags taking up room he didn't have to look into bags to see what color or length, so I tried that and I had put my zoom worms and worms with salt together and some of the worms where oily, well my Z-man melted together and the seal around my plano lid was also melted and some other baits where hard, no sure which cause it but now I keep my brands together.

Wells

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.