NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I have some experience in fishing and some experience in yaking and have decide to give kayak fishing a try. I recently bought a kayak which has a rod holder, but my concern is where do you guys store your tackle while your on the boat. The yak I have is a sit in so that limits the space a little more.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Howdy Goat, welcome to NCAngler, welcome to yak-fishing, and welcome to Triangle-area yak-fishing!

How much tackle do you usually carry? If you're used to filling every compartment on a bass boat, or using a suitcase-sized box with a dozen pop-out trays, you'll probably wind up downsizing for your yak outings. The flat plano-style boxes work well -- probably the medium size a bit more than the large, but you'll certainly see some of both. If you can find room, maybe under your knees, for a box or two, and come up with a way to bungee them down so they don't slide all over, that ought to do ya for most outings. You may need to load them up for each outing, or pick your freshwater box instead of your saltwater box, or your panfish box versus catfish box, or whatever...

Another approach some take is to mount a milk crate to the deck behind the cockpit. Add short legs of PVC to the bottom of the milk crate, and it will sit securely on the yak's curved deck. Now bungee it down and you can put plano boxes, bait buckets, and a bunch of other stuff in the crate.

If you get really good at minimizing, you can put a pocket-sized tackle box in the pocket of your PFD and be done with it. I'm not very close to that point yet.

Hope this gives you a few ideas
Lefty

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Because I fish from a local pond without my kayak, I bought a tackle bag that straps around my waist. I use it for fresh water kayak fishing as well as walking around the pond. You have to really think about what you want to carry. For saltwater, I have a larger Plano, but nothing huge. Where you can keep it will depend on what yak you are sailing. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I started out taking my softsider bag with 6 plano trays and the outside pockets stuffed full of worms & jigs & such on every trip. Strapped it down really good in my (sit on top) tankwell. It was a real pain to find the right tray behind me, get it out, get it back in, etc... I've since moved to using a crate, and only taking the two plano boxes that I plan on using, plus maybe a bag or two of worms & hooks.

For special trips (ie. stripers, crappies, etc...) I'll prepare a special box with a combination of stuff that would normally be spread across several boxes. On shorter trips I'll skip the crate and just take a small box with a very limited selection of tackle.

I have found that moving to a PFD with lots of pockets is really helpful - if you haven't I would suggest it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tried the milk crate and decided to downsize. First I purchased a 14 inch tool box from a super building store. Then a clear waterproof container 2 1/2 inches high approximately the same width as the tool box but shorter was acquired from a discount store. Glue the container lid to the bottom of the tool box. Attach the container to the yak's deck between your knees with velcro strips. Place valuable items such as wallet and cell phone in the container. Snap on the lid and go fishing with the box stuffed with tackle. Everything you need is right in front but not in the way or in line of sight for the fish finder screen.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
yeah, I started to point out that with a sit-inside you've only got the inside or the outside to work with for storage. But my obvious-o-meter went berserk:).

I think the moral of the story so far is downsizing for the kayak.

I do like the idea of a removable rack option on the back deck of a SIK if you don't have enough reachable room inside with you. The tandems are great for taking extra gear instead of extra people, but its hard to turn a single into a tandem. I think I'd suggest something like a luggage rack on the back deck to give the flexibility to use a crate, cooler, tackle box or whatever. I just did some searching and found pics of a drawer slide unit that goes underneath the hood of a sit inside, and a deck insert with a sliding tackle drawer that fills part of the cockpit arc in front. A little ingenuity goes a long way with plastic boats!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Steal some of the wife's Zip locks. Cut up some cereal boxes so that they fit the zip locks. Use those for any leaders that you plan on using. Clear film canisters or small pill bottles: for hooks and small items like swivels and sinkers. Bigger pill bottles: for plugs spoons etc. Some plugs and sinkers come in their own plastic boxes. leave them in them. Put it all in a one gallon zip lock with an optional chunk of foam for flotation (or just make sure you trap air in the bag.) You should have plenty of room to keep that between your thighs. I have a 2 person sit in and you also have room on either side of your legs for this type set up. I keep mine on my left side usually.( I'm right handed.) The more often you fish the less you need to carry. You get a feel for what you will need. Those pretty lures have a way of multiplying.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Like others, I started with a big ol' soft sided tackle box, with 5 plano boxes, plenty of storage on top and the sides. I am now down to a small tupperware box that fits easily in my milk crate and that I can grasp easily with one hand. I use TALS tubes for many of my lures.....they work well:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For my kayak tackle storage, I'm using a lunch bag found at flea market for $1.00. Upper part holds 2 plastic mayo jars for soft baits and Gulp --lower section holds jig heads ,leaders and etc. I keep my catch in a laundry bag(live well).

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Reactions: tcfisherman

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lefty got it. They actually have a chest pack also, where the tubes 'velcro' in. One side of the tube has a rigged area that sticks to velcro. The other thing you can do is buy a piece velcro with adhesive on one side, take a small piece and put it somewhere on your kayak within easy reach. Then you can just stick the tubes to it. They also drain, they keep me from having trebles in and around my lap/legs on the kayak and they keep lures used in saltwater away from other lures. Anyone who has ever thrown a lure back in your tackle box without washing it off first understands that last one. The only drawback is that soft plastics with curly tails or small pieces can get caught in when you twist to open....minor issue as it doesnt damage the lure or tube, you just need to remember to shake it before opening to get the soft plastics away from the opening.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I read some of their website last night -- looks like quite a slick system...

...don't tell the tackle monkey about it...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
He's already jumped on me with the siting of available at Gander Mountain on the side of the web page. Was going to buy my fishing parter a new rod and reel for his birthday (he broke the one he used the most on a tree). Now I have some other items to look for.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm gummy worms.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.