NC Angler Forums banner

Tackle carry on

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  jimsnores 
#1 ·
I need to get anyone's feed back on how much is enough to carry on canoe or jon boat? What I carry now is about 30# of lures and hooks. In the bag, I have 9 boxes and 1 flip bag also a flip over box! Then I have those pliers and cutters, fish attractors like Bass Sauce and so on. All my boxes are put in top water to mid range and bottom, then worms weights & worms. What I need to do is make a small bag that won't need to get a hernia carry it to the boat.

#2 ·
I am a minimalist... I have an old camera bag I bought at a yard sale. It has room for 2 small plastic boxes and about 3 bags of soft bait, plus needle nose pliers, and a folding knife. Weight, full, is maybe 2 pounds. I like the camera bag because it has a neck strap, which I use a carabiner to attach to my kayak.

You don't need it all. Figure out the lures you have confidence in, and bring those... The "what if" stuff can stay at home or go with you when you take a big boat.

Everyone is different, though.

#4 ·
A lot less than you think. It's impossible to use 200 lures on a fishing trip. My opinion is you should be able to get all the lures you need for a specific fishing trip in 1 flat plano box. Then I carry a small tackle bag with a few bags of soft plastics, hooks, leader, pro cure scent, ect. Don't get me wrong I'll have a plano for trout and a plano for bass. I won't haul my catfish sinkers on a speckled trout fishing trip. Another tip is if you don't have confidence in each lure in your box you might as well not take it.

#5 ·
This past year Ive been fishing in a Jon Boat bass club and watching what the guys who are always catching the fish are doing. I have noticed many of them stick to only 1 or 2 techniques and have a few colors to handle the water clarity on any given day and that's IT!.. I carry all of Bass Pro and 3 other tackle shops when I go, and spend more time trying different things than catching fish and I think that is my biggest issue. Know your waters, know your time of year and what works best and stick pretty close to that. I have realized we aren't recreating the wheel, and the guys who catch seem to have a good grasp on what works "this season" so I am learning not to get too creative, when I am too inexperienced to do so. In fact one of my best days has been when I forgot my main box and ended up fishing with mostly borrowed/donated items which limited me and forced me to focus more.

#8 ·
I am probably as guilty as any of taking too much stuff! If I am fishing in a tournament, I will carry 5 rods and my tackle bag. The bag I use is a small Plano with room for four 3600 Planos. I only have 2 boxes in it to make room for my soft plastics. Not sure what it weighs, but it is too heavy. I agree with others here that it is better to use 1 or 2 techniques on an average trip. Not only does it keep down the stuff you have to take, but it forces you to learn those techniques even better. Good luck to you.

#9 ·
I like to thank you all for all the information and mainly to Fish_Fiend for those photo's which I know takes little of time to lay out and then take then post them on the forum. But all the information that you have given me was great! I have to really go through my travel bag and decide which lures do I fish and use more! I do use almost all my top water lures, then the soft plastics will be the hardest to decide! Then the crank baits, I use more then any is Square Bill's and lip less stick baits also those jigs which I just learning how to use! Hooks will or should be easier, because I only use 3/0 worm & 1/0 worm then the new hooks with plastic bait holder from Mike ICon, swim hooks to use with my minnow baits and frogs! So I got my work cut out for me, Thanks for all the info!

#12 ·
Sign of the times, when a selfie stick is included.

You Army guys can be weird sometimes, what is the nail polish for?

And is the gun oil along for a condiment?

I know I pack to much but there is a few reasons for that,
One: being new, I am not confident in anything, including the speed craw. They just don't seem to work for me. I have a separate bag of plastics in the pack.
Two: I fish for three different fish at one time. Pan, Bass and Cat but I can usually get the basic stuff in two plano boxes. Things like stakes and different bait take up some room.
I am thinking about moving up from my small pack to an alice pack to carry the gear. One of the many reasons is cause of the water. Currently I bring along 32oz bottle but being a bank fisherman I hike to a few areas and that doesn't seem to be enough on a hot day for a few hours. My small pack just can't handle the water weight.

How do yall overcome the water weight issue?

#14 ·
Selfie stick was added just a day or two before.

Clear Nail polish has a myriad of uses including a coat on my FG braid to leader knot to seal it up real good.

The gun oil is actually for any reel that takes a dunking. The solvents in it are very good for water displacement and what not.

Water wise I drink a gallon of water a day easily during the summer so I take a large camel back filter bottle with me full. I am considering getting a camel back bladder to fit into the back pack.

Gene Red >X< Asheboro

#16 ·
Jim sorry about that, in fact I haven't been out for long time! As for my wife she isn't doing any better. I found out that her heart is a 98% closed, they tried to do a stint to open the valves couldn't open it up! Her breathing is really hard for her and she can only walk about the distance of our bedroom to the kitchen and back, long period standing is completely out. As for me I ruined my forearm muscles on my left arm, changing the tire on my wife's car that she was going to the Doctors. She had a friend with her so she wasn't alone driving. So know I don't fish rivers cause the length of time is longer then I would like to. This year I haven't been on the water at all due to my arm also! So this is why I asking this question about gear. Carrying rods and gear to and from the lake would be hard to handle so this is why!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.